Chapter 25

"How are you doing, Maisie?" asked Professor Wainwright from behind his desk, twiddling a pen between his fingers. I cleared my throat.

"Well," I said, unable to meet his eye, "that's an interesting question, Professor. And, I mean... I guess I'm okay."

"Convincing," he said, dryly. He dropped the pen on his desk, and got up out of his seat to gaze dramatically out the window. "I hope that whatever is bothering you, Miss Potter, isn't distracting you from your studies. Your exam is only a matter of months away."

I swallowed. "It's fine, Professor, I'm handling it."

"I know that the news of Callie's disappearance has probably upset you slightly."

"Slightly," I muttered. Professor Wainwright sighed, and turned to face me, leaning against the window frame with his arms folded across his chest.

"I'm never one to go searching for student gossip," said the Professor, and something told me that was not at all true, "but I heard through the grapevine that you and Remus -"

"Professor, the Daily Prophet said this might be the start of a wizarding war," I quickly interjected, not feeling entirely comfortable with talking to him about my love life (or lack of). "I know not to believe everything the Daily Prophet says, but this time... I don't know. I just have a bad feeling."

Judging by the minutes of silence following this question, I don't think Wainwright really knew quite what to say to that. After what felt like an incredibly awkward eternity, he finally replied with: "Honestly, Maisie? I'm not sure. But I think, whatever happens, it's gonna be big. And it's gonna be bad."

I nodded slowly. "Oh, right."

It was weird having such a serious conversation with him, I don't think he's ever gone this long without making a really stupid joke before. This made me feel a little uneasy - he must be scared too. Sometimes, I forget adults can get scared.

He walked over to the bookcase in the corner of the room, and picked out three books from the top shelf. "Anyway, these are your next assignment - should keep you busy!"

"Because I'm not already busy," I said sarcastically.

Professor Wainwright chuckled. "If you don't put it in the work, you won't get the results you want. If you want to pass, you need to put in the effort."

"What if I don't wanna pass?" I mumbled, and the Professor frowned.

"What does that mean, Potter?"

"Just seems like more trouble than it's worth at this point."

"Because of the workload? Look, Maisie, you-"

"It's not just that it's...nothing, it doesn't matter," I said, grabbing the books off the desk and shoving them in my bag. "Thank you, Professor."

I practically ran out of his office, and didn't stop until I'd accidentally bumped straight into someone on the staircase.

"Oh, shit - sorry, I-" I fumbled with my bag, quickly fixing the strap that had fallen from my shoulder in the collision.

"Hey." The voice rang through my head and made my body turn cold and numb, like somehow all my blood had turned to ice.

Remus.

Bloody hell, I do not need this today.

He looked so good, it was almost offensive. His light brown hair, which always reminded me of the caramel latte from Madam Puddifoot's, was adorably messy and it took everything in my power to stop myself from running my fingers through it. He must have been outside recently, as his cheeks and the tip of his nose were rosy from the cool winter air. I felt a sudden pang in my heart as I realised I hadn't been this close to him in such a long time.