Chapter 16

I lifted my arm up, poking at it suspiciously.

"I think I'm getting bingo wings."

Lily looked up from her book, narrowing her eyes as I carried on inspecting my arms.

"It's not that noticeable, actually, I wouldn't worry."

I started wiggling my arm about, making myself laugh as it wobbled.

"Wibble wobble wibble wobble."

"Oh my god please stop."

"Wibble wobb – ah, hello, Alfie." The owl landed in front of me on the bed, and I untied the note from where it was strapped to his leg.

"Alfie?"

"Short for Alfonso," I said, giving Alfie a treat from my bedside drawer before he flew to perch on the top of the closet.

"Yes, I got that bit, thank you."

I cleared my throat, and read the letter aloud.

"Fellas,

We were thinking of having a pre-exam party, with all our fellow fifth-years who are going to be going through the same torment as us for the next month or two.

Would you lovely ladies be up for it – this Sunday in the Room of Requirement?

Tell whoever you want, they'll be enough firewhiskey for everyone to have at least ten bottles – the bartender in Hogs Head owes us a few favours (don't ask)

Lots of love from your favourite doggy pal xx"

Lily wrinkled her nose. "Firewhiskey? Urgh, can't stand the stuff."

"Bring something else, then," I said, folding up the letter, and stuffing it in my drawer. "Get some butterbeer or something."

"Who was that letter from?" asked Whitney, looking up from her Transfiguration essay, "your 'favourite doggy pal'?"

"Oh, that's Sirius," I said. "Private joke."

"Wait, it's on Sunday?" Lily exclaimed. "That's the day before our first exam!"

"So?"

"So the whole year is going to turn up off their heads!"

I grinned. "Yeah." Lily let out a noise of disgust.

"Where is it?" said Whitney.

"The Room of Requirement."

"Where's that?"

"Seventh floor corridor," said Lily.

Whitney frowned. "But there aren't any rooms in the seventh floor corridor."

"Not unless you need one," I said mystically, and let out a manic laugh before skipping out of the room.

*

"AYY SIRIUS MY MAN," I yelled, slapping him on the back, causing him to choke and spit out his firewhiskey. "GREAT PARTY."

Once Sirius had finished his coughing fit, he slowly turned to me, eyes narrowed.

"Thanks."

I beamed. "You're welcome. Where's the firewhiskey?" I looked around, and spotted a table at the far end of the room piled high with bottles. "A-ha." I quickly scurried over and scooped up as many bottles as I could, before sitting on a beanbag in the corner. I felt someone flop down beside me, and looked over to see Remus.

"Ah, hello, Rems," I said, and popped the lid of one of the bottles and offered it to him. He grinned, taking it, and watched as I picked up another from my collection for myself. He did a double take.