Chapter 7

"Hello," I said.

Severus eyed me cautiously across the table. I cleared my throat, and flicked through the book I had gotten from one of the shelves. Severus slowly turned the page of his book, narrowing his eyes at me.

"There are so many books in here, aren't there?" I said cheerfully, beaming at Severus.

"Well, yes," said Severus. "It is a library."

I nodded, and turned another page. "What's this, Sevvy?" I pointed to a picture in the book.

He sighed. "It's a horoscope."

"Oh."

Severus studied me for a moment, before saying, "You're reading one of the old Divination textbooks."

I frowned and shut the book, looking at the cover. "Am I?"

"Yes."

"Oh," I said, and opened up the book again to the page I was previously reading. "Cool."

"Maisie, what do you want?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Can't I sit with you?"

"I'm not saying that -"

"MISS POTTER!"

I looked up from my book and stared at Severus. "What?"

"That wasn't me."

"MISS POTTTER!"

"See?"

"But -" there was a tugging at my robes. I looked down, and raised my eyebrow.

"Hello short person, what are you doing here?"

"Sorry has been told to give Miss Potter a message," said Sorry, hopping onto the table and sitting cross legged in front of me.

"Who's the message from?"

"Mr Lupin."

I rolled my eyes, and slammed my book shut. We hadn't talked properly since we had our argument, and that was weeks ago.

"And what does his lordship have to say?"

Sorry jumped on the table, cleared her throat, and dramatically recited the message using over-dramatised hand gestures and a weird accent.

"Meet me at the Black Lake, we need to talk."

I blinked. "Wow."

Sorry leapt off the table and into my lap, causing me to jump in surprise, which made the chair fall back and come crashing to the floor, us with it. Severus snorted.

"Ow."

"So?" Sorry said excitedly, and scuttled up to my face. "Will you go??"

I rolled my eyes. "I suppose."

But inside I was smiling.

*

We sat by the lake in silence. I picked absentmindedly at the grass, twirling the blades between my fingers. Remus sighed deeply, and turned his head to look at me, biting his lip.

"Maisie."

I ignored him, waving my wand at the daisies in the ground. The daisies were gently plucked from their roots, and hovered together in the air in front of me, before I waved my wand again and they tangled together, tying themselves in a chain which landed gracefully in my lap.

"Maisie, we haven't talked for weeks."

I picked up the daisy chain and placed it on my head, fitting there perfectly.