Speer

The ringing of your phone is what wakes you from your semi-peaceful slumber which feels useless at this point. The contact reads "Agent Hot-Stuff" and your phone continues to ring and vibrate on your nightstand. The noise drones in your ear and you figure the only way to silence it was to answer.

"What do you want at this hour, Hotch?" you say in a slightly aggravated tone, but you know he won't take your sleepy ramblings to heart. "Y/N I need you to come to the office right now, it's urgent!" he is pretty much yelling at this point. "Uh Hotch what's wrong, why are you so--" you hear the call end and an unsettling amount of chills creep up your spine. You grab a white button up shirt and the nearest pair of jeans and shoes.

It's almost 3:30 in the afternoon but it is a normal occurance for you to sleep in on your days off even though it was a beautiful monday afternoon. You couldn't believe Hotch let you take the day off, it must've been too good to be true. Hotch seemed in some sort of distress when he called you so you figured breaking a few traffic laws to get to the BAU a little bit faster seemed excusable.

You had a playful "crush" on Hotch and everyone knew it. You would play flirt with him, just like Morgan and Garcia, and he would make it a point to not react. You called him funny nicknames like Agent Hotchner, (emphasis on the HOT), SSA Hotty, and Agent Hot-Stuff. You can tell he enjoys the provocative banter and every once and a while he will call you a funny name in response to the countless compliments. You would like to think you were especially close with Hotch but you wouldn't go far enough to say that he was your best friend or something similar. He was just your boss, and that is all he will ever be.

Before you could fully "wake up" you were already exiting the elevator and rushing to the conference room. "I came as fast as i cou-" you stopped yourself when you noticed that no one turned around to face you. The room was almost dead silent, except for the heavy breaths that sounded like they were holding back a sea of sobs that escaped your boss's mouth. The whole team was gathered around a single laptop on the table, their gazes unwavered and their eyes looked distraught. You approach the laptop and Dave moves out of your view. On the screen was a long email sent to Hotch. The email seemed to have been written by someone close to the team, someone who knew us all individually. The email stated things about each member that others on the team didn't even know about them. You didn't understand why this was so urgent until i read the next paragraph. It said:
"I have obtained the greatest crutch against your team, something worse than any secret that I could hold against you. I have your son, Jack. Maybe you should make sure your he gets home from school safely next time"

         Behind the seemingly cowardly words that the other paragraphs of the email possesed, was a very angry individual who went on to recount every "bad thing" that hotch has done to him.

Four years ago Hotch killed this unsubs brother in a shootout with a renowned gang and the local police force. Garcia was able to discover the unsub's identity from the extensive details from his brother's death rather quickly; "This is our unsub, Randal Speer" Garcia said as she pulled up his picture on the big screen.

You've never seen Hotch's eyes filled with so much rage in the 9 years that you have known him.

At this point you've dozed off, separated from the rest of the team while You suffocate in your thoughts. The room is loud with ideas being flung from each person's mouth as they try to conjure a viable plan. "Are you sure you can't trace the email address Garcia?" Reid retorts for the fifth time "No I can't, and he doesn't have a last known address either" Garcia replies. Your eyes are locked on Hotch, who dares not speak in this trying time. You can tell he is doing all he can to keep his composure, and you know it can't be easy.

No one has said a word to you this whole time, it's almost as if you're not here; you figure you can use this to your advantage. You sneak out of the conference room with the laptop containing the original message. You shy away to your desk which is conveniently out of view from the rest of the team. You didn't know if your idea was gonna work or not, considering no one else thought of it yet. You assume that if the supergeniuses you work with havent tried it, then it must be a stupid idea. All you did was click the reply button and you typed a descriptive request where you ask for any extra demands that Speer would like to be filled in exchange for the release of the young boy. You attach your name to it and hit send.

This was a desperate time, but everyone on the team was obviously not scared of the risks of trying to get Jack to safety. You didn't really expect a response from Speer so you returned to the conference room and just like before, not a single head turned.

When you enter the room Hotch is fussing at Reid for god knows what and his veins look like they will break through his skin at any second. You run over to him and grab his muscular arm and you whisper in his ear "Come on Hot Stuff, let's get a coffee and try to calm down" You have to practically drag him away from the argument and into the bullpen. "Y/N stop! Can't you see i'm trying to find my son?" he yells. "You aren't gonna find him if you waste all of your time yelling at Spencer. You lock eyes and for a moment it feels as though his gaze has transferened a sliver of his raw emotion and pain to you and your heart aches for him. Standing before you is the strongest person you have ever met and seeing him breakdown and feel unsure of himself was somewhat startling.

"Let me go." he says sternly. You realize that you are still grasping his arm and you can't let go. He finally breaks free from and in one swift motion, he is once again in the conference room. You contemplate whether you should follow him but your thoughts are interrupted by the ding of the laptop hiding on your desk.
You approach it slowly, hoping for it to read some sort of good news and to your surprise, Speer responded. Your body slowly filled with anxiousness as you thought of all the horrible things he could demand that would inevitably hurt Hotch (since that was obviously his goal).
I opened the email and the header read one large bolded word:
YOU