XI

"You look happy." Holly commented as I sat on the chair in the guest's dressing room of Good Morning Paris.

I turned to her and smiled, "What? I am usually very happy."

"No." She laughed, "You're unusually happy. Hannah told me about your date with you-know-who. Did anything relevant happen then?"

I shook my head.

"And don't think I didn't see that instagram post." Holly nudged me. "You posted the Eiffel Tower and he posted a photo in the Louvre. Who could've taken those photos, huh?"

I smiled and didn't say anything. That afternoon was magical. We weren't back together, God no, but there was something there. I can feel it.

Holly watched me with a fond smile on her face. "I'm happy for you, Y/N. Just protect yourself this time, okay?"

I nodded and as if on cue, the producer stepped in the room and smiled at me. She said that Nick and I would be introduced in just a bit and we should get ready.

"See you in a bit, Hols." I gave her a smile and stepped out of the room. Nick was waiting outside and he looked handsome. "Oh hey."

"Hi." He smiled at me. "You look beautiful."

"You too." I paused and laughed, "I mean, you look handsome. You look just...handsome today."

A faint blush appeared on his cheeks and he gave off his usual embarassed chuckles. "Thank you. Shall we?" He offered his arm to me and led me to the backstage of the talkshow. We entered like that and the audience went wild.

We sat down beside each other after greeting the hosts. There were two women hosting the show, Nicolette and Claudine.

"Welcome to Paris!" Nicolette greeted, "Have you been?"

"I have. Once. It is Y/N's first time here." Nick answered. "Thank you for having us."

"So tell us about With Love, Paris. Is the movie going to be different from the book?" Claudine inquired.

"The author wrote the script so it is as close to the story as possible. We're still in the middle of filming so we really can't say much about it yet." I laughed and took a sip of water from the mug which was handed to us.

Nick added, "We also try to stay true to the emotions in the book. We don't want to let the fans of the book down."

"But it is written about you and Y/N, right? According to our research, this was a story inspired by you." I can see the twinkle in Claudine's eyes.

I opened my mouth but Nick beat me to it, "Yes." The audience cheered. "The characters were loosely based on me and Y/N but the story in itself is fiction."

I couldn't have said it any better.

Nicolette leaned forward, "Did you already know that you would be working together? If I remember correctly, you two and Joe Jonas had lunch together. Did you know about the movie then?"

We both shook our heads and I answered, "We didn't. The lunch was a friendly date. We haven't seen each other in years."

"We have to ask. This has been on everybody's minds, I'm sure." Nicolette's red lips turned into a smile, "There have been photos. Some were during filming and the other was that rendezvous in the Louvre."

I was stunned. Were there photos in the Louvre? Nick and I have been careful not to attract attention.

"Are you back together?" Nicolette finally asked.

"Well, we..." I turned to Nick.

He looked cool as a cucumber, "We're good friends. It is a really nice thing to start off as friends and then become friends after a break up. Y/N is special to me and personally," He turned to look at me, "I can't lose her."

His words resounded in my ears the entire interview. The show ended and I was still thinking about his words. Does he mean that?

"Do you mean that?" I finally spoke up in the elevator. It was safe. It was just him, his manager, me, and Holly.

Nick turned his head to me, "Which one?"

"What you said. You said you can't..."
"I do. I mean it."

He looked serious when he answered me. "Five years is not a joke. You own a huge part of my life, Y/N."

Our managers exchanged glances. Holly spoke up, "You two should talk. We will just have lunch. We'll send lunch to your room, Y/N."

"But Holly..." I frowned.

Nick's manager, Phil smiled at us, "Just talk. You need it. Nick, I have your key so...you can't come back unless you fix this. Whatever this is."

We surrendered to our managers and went straight to my suite.

I welcomed him inside and let out a sigh, "Meddling managers."

"Well," Nick sat down on the sofa, "They're right. We have to talk, Y/N."

I stared at him, "I don't have anything to say to you, Nicholas."

"If you don't, I do. I have always wanted to talk to you, Y/N, but you changed your number. You blocked me everywhere." Nick frowned as he recounted the past, "I tried to reach out to you."

"You try because I was gone. You became too complacent that I would wait for you, that I would understand. You could've tried when we were together." My eyes brimmed with tears, "You could have tried then!"

Nick stood and cupped my face with his warm hands, he wiped my tears with his thumbs, "Y/N. I love you. I will always love you. I'm sorry I didn't try hard enough. I didn't know what you were feeling. I was selfish. I was at the top. I didn't notice you were disappearing."

"It killed me every single day after that. I felt like such a bother, Nicholas. You made me feel like I have to beg for our attention. You made me feel like I was just there when it is convenient for you." I felt my heart breaking again as I cried. Aside from the sessions I had with my psychiatrist, this is the first time I actually spoke of how I felt before the break up.

He wrapped his arms around me, "I don't have an excuse. I'm sorry."

I sobbed as I embraced him, "You replaced me so easily."

"No. I tried. I couldn't. And that's why I said what I said. That's why Olivia and I broke up. This is why all my other relationships after you failed. I was still in love with you. I was always filled with what ifs." His voice was shaky but he kept on going. I could only imagine the tears on his eyes,"What if I flew home to see you? What if I gave you time? What if I loved you better? What if I stopped thinking about 'Why can't she understand me' and think about 'Where is she coming from?' But I didn't. I was young and selfish. I'm sorry I hurt you."

His grasp tightened. "I love you. I'm sorry I let you go through the pain alone. I should've been there to hold you when you cry."

"I love you, Nicholas." I finally admitted. It felt as though a burden was lifted from my shoulders. "I tried to move on. It nearly killed me but I'm still here. I love you. I will always love you."

I felt him sigh. He pulled back, held my face in his hands and smiled. Nick leaned forward and kissed me.

His lips felt like home - so warm, so familiar, so comforting.

We pulled back after a few seconds and he smiled, "Sorry. I've been wanting to kiss you for awhile."

Even though there were tears in my eyes, I laughed. I pulled him back down to my lips and kissed him again.