III

The news was nonstop. All headlines were about the lunch I had with Joe and Nick.

I didn't think it would blow up like this. Well... I also didn't think Nick would be there.

The lunch ended well. Joe tried his best to keep our spirits up and by the end of everything, we were laughing. I don't regret going out with Joe. I don't regret seeing Nick.

And that is what scares me.

What if I spiral back into my dark days again? What will I do then? I've made amazing progress already.

I have to be careful.

It was nice to see you again. This is my number btw. -Nick

But really? How can I be careful with this cinnamon roll messaging me like this? I know this message is not out of the ordinary but it sent butterflies to my stomach.

I hesitated before replying. I really have to be careful.

Same. Sorry for the inconvenience though. People will be talking.

If he just broke up with Olivia, it will look really bad that he's seen with his ex.

I don't really let it affect me anymore. The media can say what they want to say.

Was his reply. I laid down on my bed and reread his message. I don't want to get ahead of myself. Nick was being casual. Why was I so affected anyway? I've moved on. It has been six years!

You're right.

I sent my message and put my phone down. I knew there wouldn't be another message after this. Nick wasn't texter. He was a caller. He sure isn't the person to try and keep a conversation from dying.

I sat up and went to my bathroom. I splashed my face with water and stared at myself in the mirror. I felt alone. Technically, I was. My house staff doesn't keep me company as much. Although I have tried to keep a really good relationship with them, I barely see them because I worked on Free. My family doesn't live in Beverly Hills. They live in San Francisco, where I had my old childhood home remodeled.

I used to like this feeling. I liked being alone but I guess with a few years with it, you just get tired of it. I pushed everyone away after the break up happened. I wanted to be alone with my thoughts and everyone just wanted me to get over it. So slowly, I walked away from them. It became such a habit that I unconsciously did it to people in my present.

The only cords I didn't cut were that of my parents and the few friends I have back home. Everyone I met while rising to where I am now are gone, or just hanging by a thread.

My walls are all still up, guarding me. But with Nick entering the picture, my teenage self resurrected - the trusting, the happy, the girl he fell in love with.

The girl he left.

Nick had been busy with his music and his tours. Our relationship was easy at first because back in Disney, we were affectionate and clingy that Joe would sometimes fake gag at us. When we set our foot out on the world, Nick didn't lose a second. He started making waves while I stood by the shore. He was at the peak of his career and I was his lesser known girlfriend starring in a few mediocre films.

I didn't feel insecure, to be honest. I was happy for Nick. We would meet each other consistently and we never forgot dates and anniversaries. Until Nick stopped. It all began with an, "I can't come. I'm really tired." to "Jeez, if you can't understand my situation, I shouldn't even call you anymore."

We were both at fault, I admitted to myself as I went back to my bed. Nick was tired and I should've been more understanding. I should've flown to him instead. I shouldn't have demanded so much time from him. I shouldn't...

What are you doing, Y/N? I heard that voice again and it snapped me back to reality.

I was better now. I was on top of my game. Gone were the days when the paparazzi forgot my name. I was the star. I was the one everybody talked about. I was the one everybody looked up to. Why am I going back to the boy who didn't appreciate me? I had the world in my hands.

My phone rang and I was pulled back to reality. It was my manager, Holly Simmons.

"Holly?" I answered.

"I saw the news. Your assistant didn't tell me you have a lunch date with two thirds of the Jonas Brothers." Holly sounded stern. She was there from the start and I knew this is only concern.

I smiled, "I gave Hannah a week off. She deserve rest after working long hours with me on Free. She didn't know."

"You should have told me, Y/N." She said in exasperation. "Will you be seeing them again?"

I bit my lower lip and hesitated.

"Y/N!"
"I'm sorry Hols. Nick asked if I could sing with him in his new song."

Holly paused and gave a sigh, "Look, I know it isn't my position to tell you what to do with your personal life but I saw you, Y/N. I saw you after your break up. That was a horrible scene to see."

I nibbled on my inner lip and nodded. Holly can get really upfront about everything.

"If you get back in a war, you have to be prepared to get your limbs blown off." She finished. "I'm saying this as your friend. As your manager, I don't mind. Bad publicity is still publicity."

"I understand."

Holly sighed again, "I'm going to see you after a week. I have a script for you. Now, it is romance and I know how you don't like it but it is based on this bestseller called With Love, Paris. It has amazing reviews and fans are waiting to see the film. The author wants you. Do you think you can have a look at it? I promised the author I'd tell you."

I stared at my ceiling and smiled, "Sure, why not? I'll try and grab a copy of the book so I'd know the story. Can you e-mail it to me tomorrow?"

"Sure. I'll keep you updated."

Our call ended and I stood up. I need to get busy and if this romantic movie is going to do it, I'll take it.