IX

Denise was surprised, alright. So was Kevin Sr.

It was not because their sons actually managed to cook up an amazing dinner but because I was there. They both greeted me, saying they missed me a lot and how they always prayed for my safety and success.

It was heart-warming.

"Let's all have dinner." Kevin called out and he encouraged us to sit down so he and Nick could bring out the food they prepared.

I looked around and Frankie took me to my seat, "You sit beside Nick and me, remember?"

Oh yes.

I sat down and looked at the familiar faces. I haven't seen them for a long while and I missed them a lot.

"How have you been, Y/N?" Denise smiled at me from her seat, "We saw your movie. You were so good."

Kevin Sr. nodded as he added, "Mama Jonas cried a lot." He chuckled when his wife nudged him.

"I cried too," Danielle smiled at me, "Your performance was brilliant."

"Thank you, everyone. I am glad you liked it. I gave my all to that movie." I thanked them and felt a surge of emotion in my heart. "I've been well, Mrs. Jonas. I moved to my own house and my parents went back home."

"Visit us often, okay?" Denise always treated me like I was part of the family. She and Kevin Sr. never failed to include me in every family affair in the Jonas house. There are times when they would invite me over even before Nick could tell me I was asked to join in any holidays. "I missed you a lot."

"I missed you too. All of you." I looked at them and gave them a teary smile, "I'm just so happy I'm still welcome."

"Of course you are." Kevin laid a plate on my place and gave me a kind smile, "You are a part of our family."

"That's true." Kevin Sr nodded, sending me a fond smile, "Y/N, you are part of the Jonas family. So if you feel like it, fly back here and we'll have a room prepared for you."

"Oh that reminds me, where will you be staying tonight? You can't obviously fly home to Beverly Hills tonight, Y/N." Denise asked. The Jonases gathered for the surprise in North Carolina, where their parents lived now.

"I'm rented a room..."

But Denise didn't let me continue, "Stay here. Did you take the taxi from the hotel?"

"I did." I nodded, feeling Mrs. Jonas' maternal instinct kick in.

"Nick? Drive her and help her with her things, will you? We'll prepare the guest room for you, dear." She mentioned and as she prepared to stand to prepare the room, I stopped her.

"Mrs. Jonas." I smiled, "It's your birthday. Let's eat first."

"I'll help prepare Goldie's room, mom." Frankie added as we all watched Mrs. Jonas sit down.

Nick finally took his seat and grinned at me as dinner began. "Mom really likes having you around."

"I like it here too. Do you mind if I stay for the night?" I didn't want to impose. We were starting to revive our friendship and here I am, staying over.

Nick nodded, "Why not?" He started eating, "And besides, my mom want you to be here. Do you have the heart to say no to her?"

Me? Say no to Denise Jonas? I don't think so.

He took my silence as a yes so he continued, "It will be fine. When will you fly back to Beverly Hills?"

"Tomorrow. I'm leaving for Paris the day after." I answered as I took a spoonful of creamy mashed potatoes, "You made this?"

Before Nick could reply, Kevin butt in, "He wishes."

_________________________________________

On our way back from the hotel, Nick and I were singing along to Superstition by Stevie Wonder. It was one of our favorite songs.

Very superstitious, writings on the wall
Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past

We've spent countless of days and night just erupting into this particular song. Nick has always loved this and introduced me to Stevie Wonder. I had been hooked ever since.

But when we split, I tried my hardest not to be reminded about Nick. This included his favorites, his hobbies, and his entire presence which I adapted in our relationship. Apparently when you have a relationship with someone for five years, you slowly take in his frequent habits and his preferences.

I stopped watching baseball. I even stopped wearing my favorite perfume - which I only wore because Nick said he loved it. I even stopped having McDonalds because the food reminds me of the take outs we used to have when we go out for long drives.

Suddenly, I lost me. I was so used to being part of Nick and Y/N that I lost my sense of self.

I didn't know I actually preferred not to watch sports at all. I found out that rather than having fastfood, I can cook better and healthier alternatives. I also discovered that outside of Nick Jonas, I was introverted and kept to myself. I liked staying home rather than flying out to where he was at the moment and I liked being out of the limelight when I don't have work to do.

When you believe in things that you don't understand
Then you suffer
Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no

"Wow. I haven't listened to this song in years." I laughed as I leaned on the seat. "Do you mind if I roll the windows down?"

"Go ahead. I remember you like fresh air." He commented lightly, "So, what do you listen to these days?"

I smiled, "I'm into Little Mix. Girl power."

Nick nodded, "Mmm, I see that. What else?"

"Well, I've been really busy so I usually don't listen to much music. I have been trying to catch up on reading on set." I told him, "But so far, my Harry Potter books have not seen me for months."

Nick smirked, "Are you sure you still don't want to watch the movies?"

"I'm on book six! Don't pressure me!"

We laughed.

"Okay, Y/N. How about this? When you finish the book series, tell me. I have all the movies in my laptop. We can watch it together." Nick turned to me after he packed his car.

I looked at him and nodded, "Sure, Nick."

Friends do this, right?