II

Nick joined us and he sat beside Joe. I was sitting across Joe so I could see him easily. He had dark circles, my heart gave a twinge knowing he looked tired.

We gave our orders and Joe tried to lighten the awkward silence by launching into a narrative of why we were both there.

"I hope you don't mind. I mean, I asked you out," Joe meant me, "And then, he asked me out so I thought, what the hell? I'll have you two together! Two birds, one stone." He looked so proud of himself.

Nick gave his brother a look before letting out a sigh, "I guess." He avoided my eyes and closed his instead. He lifted a hand and massaged the bridge of his nose with it. He used to do that before whenever he was fed up with Joe's antics or when he was blocked while writing a song.

I guess he never actually kicked the habit.

"So tell us, Y/N, how have you been doing?" Joe grinned at me. "We haven't talked like this in like..." The second Jonas looked as his hands as though trying to calculate how long it has been.

"Six years." Nick and I chorused. He looked at me and smiled bashfully, "Go on."

"Well, after leaving Disney, I went to guest star in various shows. I wanted to do more serious acting but I don't really get a lot of offers." I recounted.

Disney is a great start for young stars but after leaving the company, you get a stigma...an identity that is so hard to shake off. I received this innocent, princess identity. It was mostly because the roles I usually had back in the day were that of the sweet daughter, a shy love interest, or even the real-life-princess-who-wants-to-experience-the-real-world role. In Hollywood, I received offers for teenage romance films, even the occasional rom-coms. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, but if it is the only kind of offers you get, you'd wish for more too.

Free was my first role away from the identity they built for me. Jane was bullied. Jane was struggling. Jane was not focused on getting the boy but on getting out of school alive.

"In six years, I have been in a few rom-coms..." I smiled. "And then my manager called. She said I was asked to read for the role of Jane Sullivan in Free."

The brothers were listening intently, I have to give them that.

"So I read for the part and I got it a week after."

Joe nodded, "Mmm, and how was working for the Johnny Depp?"

"It is amazing. He is so nice. He is just so thoughtful and amazing! Did I say that already?" I chuckled. Talking with them seem so natural that I forgot about my inhibitions about Nick being here.

Nick sent me a smile, "Congratulations on your Oscar. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm sure you did an excellent work."

"Bro! She was amazing! I saw the movie," Joe looked accusingly at Nick, as though he did something horrible, "And I bawled like a baby!"

"It isn't Nick's fault. He's busy." I was sure he was. Although I have tried to skip through all the news about him, I am sure he is busy. He's always loved working on projects. He was not the kind of person to stop working. I should know...

"You never have time for me anymore. I try so hard, Nicholas."
"Why can't you understand?"
"Maybe this will never work out. Maybe we're just...forcing it."
"You're right."

I shook my head and forced myself to forget the lines that night. It has been years ago. Why can't I let it go?

"How have you been, Nick?" I asked softly. It would be selfish if I didn't ask. Well... I was also interested in what he was up to.

He gave me another smile. It was one of those that made me weak in the knee when I was a teenager - okay, maybe I still feel that way.

"I just finished writing a song so I thought I should have lunch outside the house. I heard Joe will be around so I called him up." Nick answered.

Joe rolled his eyes, "Stop moping around, bro. Didn't you tell me it was a mutual break up?" My ears perked up, "Live your life. Olivia wishes you well. You could stay friends, at least."

So they broke up. Hmmm.

Y/N, don't get your hopes up. I heard my inner voice scold me.

"Yes but it doesn't make it hurt less." The third Jonas looked at his brother.

"Well yes, I didn't say that but I mean, you've been through worse. Remember your break up with Y/N?" Joe turned to me before realizing I was indeed still there. "Oh. Nevermind."

It was a good thing that our food came. We needed to break the ice.

"So, tell me about the song, Nick." I turned to him and tried to clear the air.

He looked relieved somehow when I asked, "I had this idea in mind about a love letter turned love song and I knew I have to write it. I've been working on it for a week."

"That must be some song, huh?"
"Yes. It is special for me."

"Can it be a duet?" Joe butt in.

Nick shrugged, "I guess."

"Y/N can sing it with you then. You still sing, right Y/N?" Joe looked at me. I can see the wheels in his brain working. What are you up to, Joseph?

Nick turned his eyes on me too, "You know what? That is a good idea. Can you"

"I..."

With both Jonases looking at me, I knew what the answer should be. I know the answer I wanted.

"Sure."