6 - Lying To The Admiral

~  Friday, Jan 8, 1813  ~

~ Friday, Jan 8, 1813 ~

Fortunately, the paper did not report the impropriety at the Weatherby's ball, likely because the baroness did not want a single word circulated that might come across as a smudge against her station. Additionally, the sporting section reported that Captain Thompson had won his fight. While his opponent was as much an unknown as he, his rival's inexperience mattered little to me. I was thrilled Jules had won, and my mood remained light for the entirety of the morning.

It wasn't until well after breakfast that I received a visit from one hysterical Alice Thompson and her slightly bruised brother. I attempted to calm the girl down with tea and a handkerchief, and she was finally able to recite the cause of her mania as we all sat together in the parlor.

"I sent an apology to the baroness, as you suggested," she said as she sniffled into her lace collar. "And it wasn't an hour later that I received this in return." She held up a letter made of thick parchment, although she had managed to crumple it so thoroughly, it looked more like a soiled hanky. "It's just as I thought. She's indifferent."

"What did the baroness say, Alice? Can you read it to me?"

Alice shook her head as she handed me the paper. "You'll have to do it. I don't want to look at it ever again."

While Alice blew her nose into the handkerchief I'd offered, I unwrapped the missive and smoothed out the parchment on my dress. Printed in scrolling gold letters, the baron and baroness's names emblazoned the letterhead, informing anyone in receipt of such a communication that they were privileged to do so. Below, in neat hand, the baroness wrote her reply.

Dear young Alice,

I was deeply saddened to receive such an ungrateful response from you after inviting you into my home. Had your mother still been with us, she would have been most displeased with your behaviour. Given your keen upbringing, I should not need to remind you that one never speaks ill in the face of a noble. In the face of anyone, for that matter. And I can only attribute this grave oversight to the company you have kept of late.

I was made aware that you and your brother attended a gala in Mistress Hayes's place of business on New Years Eve. While I do not know how you came to receive an invitation to such an event, I certainly would have thought your father would put a stop to it before risking humiliation. I realize you are still young and impressionable. Therefore, I place the full brunt of blame on Mistress Hayes for your unseemly outburst last evening. I expect she planted the seed in your head and fostered it. I suggest you cease your association with that woman before your reputation is irrevocably tarnished. As long as you do that, the unfortunate incident in my home will remain our secret.

In closing, I want you to know that I accept your heartfelt apology, and I wish you and your family only the best.

Yours sincerely,