11 - Washing Away The Stench

~  Thursday, Jan 14, 1813  ~

The boys at the rehab home voiced their excitement when I arrived, some offering marriage proposals. When I explained that the reason for my visit was to collect their testimonials, they were eager to recount their dire circumstance and the hardships their families faced. Even Nurse Ginny recited her young brother's tragic tale of how he lost the function of one of his lungs. Apparently, the annuity he received barely covered the cost of the equipment needed to keep him alive, to say nothing of the fact that he was not likely to find a wife who would be willing to care for him.

As for Colonel Hobbs, while we agreed on the need to better compensate our permanently injured soldiers, he could not put his position in jeopardy by articulating this on paper. He did, however, grant me an open invitation to use him as counsel should I ever need it. Thomas recited a hymn about guardian angels in my honour, and there was nary a dry eye in the ward when I left.

That evening, when the duke's carriage arrived to carry us to the boxing arena, he was waiting for me with a smile on his face. I knew the question he planned to ask even before it left his lips. "So, are you testing your constitution with more bloodletting, Mistress Hayes? Or, is this purely a case of infatuation?"

Given that the duke had known me since I arrived in Mistress Price's home, I did not attempt to deceive him. "I would not say it is infatuation, your grace. But I will admit to having a more than casual interest in one of the fighters."

"And would that fighter's name be Captain Jules Thompson?" The smirk he offered remained firm as he waited for my answer.

"You are correct. The captain and his younger sister, Alice, recently buried their mother, and I have taken a liking to them both. Although, truth be told, the captain is quite self-absorbed and has been rather a bother to manage."

"Yet, here you are, requesting my companionship at an event you clearly do not delight in, all on behalf of this self-absorbed captain."

"My intentions are to see that Alice's brother does not look like the backend of a stubborn mule when he accompanies her to the Earl of Oxford's ball tomorrow."

He chuckled. "I am happy you chose my company to see you through the evening's unpleasantness. I hope you have accounted for a rendezvous afterwards. I have been reading a very intriguing text titled the Kama Sutra, and there are a number of positions I am eager to try."

I blinked as the duke held my gaze. I knew very well which text he referred to, having received a copy from Mister Faircloth after his visit to Asia. "I have, and I look forward to experimenting with you. Your nimbleness has no equal."

My flattery had the duke's chest expanding more than usual, and he leaned across the carriage to press his hand over mine. "If I ever fail in that department, please put me out of my misery. You know where I keep my pistol."