[36] he nearly drowned

Start from the beginning

"What you guys skinny dip!" Tre shouted.

"No! Tre, we don't Skinny dip!" I laughed.

"Then why do you go to the beach?"

"Just to talk."

"That's all? You don't even go in the water?"

"Well," Billie said, I looked over at him to see the smirk creeping upon his face. "Sometimes." I felt myself blush a little. His eyes were still on the road. I looked in front, the road was dark and mostly empty. The only thing lighting up the way were the headlights on billies car. It came across as creepy sometimes, but other times I found it quite cool. But right now I was getting a bad vibe, a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. The car was silent, no one was talking anymore. Which sort of made me feel worse.

We drove for a while before suddenly Billie stopped the car almost immediately causing everyone to bang their head on the car.

"Ah fuck!" I shouted holding my head.

"What the fuck bill?" Mike said getting out his seat and leaning forward.

"Yeah! I just hurt my head."

"It's not my fault!" Billie shouted. Everyone suddenly went silent which confused me, no one was whining anymore about banging their head anymore.

After I let go of my head and looked up I realised there was a deer in the road. Looking straight at us.

"What do we do?" Tre whispered.

"Why are you whispering it can't hear or understand you?" I asked.

"How long is it gonna take for it to move?"

"I don't know mike!" Billie said stressing out.

"It's clearly caught in the headlights," I said. They all looked at me confused.

"What?"

"You've never heard that saying? Caught like a dear in the headlights?" I asked they shook their head still confused as I rolled my eyes. "You idiots."

"So what is it doing? Is it going to attack?" Mike asked worriedly.

"It's not gonna charge at my car it is? If it damages my car I'll drive over it."

"No Billie it won't attack your car."

"Why is it just standing there?" Tre whispered again.

I sighed realising I was gonna have to sit and explain to them. "When a headlight beam strikes deer's eyes that are fully dilated to capture as much light as possible. Deer can't see at all. So right now that deer-" I said pointing to the deer still in the road. "-Can't see a single thing. It's frozen until its eyes can adjust. It doesn't know what to do, so it does nothing."

"So it can't see?" Billie asked me. I nodded.

"So what do we do,"

"Turn the headlights off Bill," Mike said.

"No! We'll be left in the dark."

"Mike's right just turn off the headlights." I agreed.

"Do it Beej!" Tre joined in.

"Do it! Do it! Do it!" We chanted to him.

"Fine!" He shouted annoyed as he turned them off. We sat in his car for a moment in complete dark and silence.

"How long should we leave them off for?" Tre whispered.

"Stop whispering Tre we don't need to!"