"I am as well as can be expected," I said, ignoring the lingering sting between my legs from the escapades that took place after the duke and I returned from the fight. "I believe my pride took the harder fall. The question here is, how are you feeling, Captain?"

"Oh, this...?" He circled his finger around his face as he attempted a smirk through battered lips. "Tis nothing a few days of rest won't cure."

I tsked as I shook my head. "Please, Captain Thompson. Have a seat. I have called for tea. You fought a valiant battle, from what I saw of it. I am sorry to hear you lost in the end."

The captain's expression remained sure as he engaged me without budging from his position at the velvet drapes. "I did not expect to win. One defeat of many, I am certain."

"So, you plan to continue your...exploits in the boxing arena?"

"Certainly. Why wouldn't I? I did not spend fourteen months studying with a champion to throw in the towel after one loss."

"Tell me, then... Why is it you have chosen this sport, in particular, when there are a number of lively endeavors for a young, strapping gentleman."

I made an effort to keep my eyes focused on the captain's face and not allow them to trace the  contours exaggerating the fit of his jacket. Based on the subtle twitch of his lips, I feared he may have seen through my guise.

"If you had met my father, you would have no need to ask. The admiral is a large man with a large temper. As a boy, I was forced to engage in punishing battles with him because he refused to raise a dandy."

"Is that so? I would not have guessed, based on your prior description of him."

"The admiral's weaknesses are only apparent to those closest to him. My sister and I have never spoken of it. Although our mother did, on occasion."

"Do you believe you would have pursued boxing had it not been for your father's harsh manner, then?"

"I do find satisfaction in the sport, but I cannot say I would have chosen it otherwise."

Tea arrived, forcing the captain into a wingback, and when Tilda mentioned the approaching arrival of Mister Morrisey, I stifled a scowl. How had I let that slip my mind so easily? Not wishing to come off as a rude hostess, I served the captain and continued our pleasant banter.

"How long do you plan to remain at your family's home, Captain?"

"Until my sister is married. I am her only chaperone. She has a goodly number of ball invitations this winter. I just hope her overzealous manner does not frighten off potential suitors. She's as smart as a whip."

"I did notice her taking the lead during the parlor games. I believe she will make any young man a spirited and engaging companion."

"That she will, but not all men are prepared for such spirit from their wife. A courtesan, maybe."

That bold, self-assurance never left him as he flouted his presumption about the women in my profession. Was he challenging me to refute his observation? Did he expect me to explain that my benefactors enjoyed more than playtime in the bedroom? Perhaps, his knowledge of the profession would improve if he took part in it.

"I wonder... Does your knowledge of courtesans and their spirited nature come from personal experience? Based on our conversations at my gala, you left me to believe you had spent little to no time in the company of a courtesan."

A slow smile crept onto his face, prompting a strange flutter beneath my stay, and I took a restorative sip of tea.

"I believe I spoke out of turn, Mistress Hayes. I suppose my knowledge comes from a singular experience. That one being at your gala."