Eight

Dylan's POV

I pull myself away from her, taking in her surprised expression. That makes two of us. I can't believe I did that. And loved every second of it.

My lips were still tingling by the time I pulled into her driveway. I watched her sleep peacefully for a few seconds before getting out of the car and carrying her into her house. I knew where the spare key was in case of an emergency.

Luckily her parents weren't awake. It was almost midnight.

I gently lay her on her king sized bed, getting medicine, crackers, and water for when she wakes up. I pull the covers over her and kiss her cheek.

***

"Dylan! Come take the trash out!" Mom yells. I groan, pulling my pillow over my head to block out the noise.

I could hear Mallie's cartoons blasting from the living room, ruining any chance I had of falling back asleep. I never thought I could hate Spongebob so much.

I trudge down the wooden stairs in nothing except my grey sweatpants, running my fingers through my hair.

"I asked you to take it out yesterday, Dylan. You better be lucky I've had my coffee, or your head would be detached from your body." Mom says, stirring eggs in a bowl. Dad is attempting to make biscuits, but failing. The sunlight reflecting off of the white floor made it impossible to see. I rubbed my eyes a few times, yawning.

"Sorry... I got distracted." I mumble, grabbing the trash. I haul it outside and throw it in the bigger garbage bin behind my house.

I walk back inside and steal a piece of bacon before going into the living room.

I creep up behind Mallie and start tickling her, earning a startled scream and contagious laughter. I jump over the white couch and hit her gently with a pillow.

Apparently my gentle isn't gentle enough, because she falls onto the ground.

I quickly pick her up and shower her with a million kisses, apologizing.

"I'm so sorry, please don't cry." I whisper, surprised when she laughs.

"Eww, cooties." She wipes my kiss off, resuming her show.

I walk into my bathroom, remembering last night. I lean against the white counter top, closing my eyes. Like I could ever forget. The way her soft lips connected with mine. The fact that I could still taste her coconut chapstick even after she had been drinking. The way her eyelashes tickled my cheek.

I opened my eyes and looked at myself in the wide mirror. All my life, people had only liked me for my looks or how well I played football. But she saw beyond that. She knew me. She didn't just pay attention to how I looked, or my popularity. She knew the real Dylan.

The fact that she probably wouldn't remember our kiss scared and relieved me at the same time.

Even after all this time of being a dick to her, she still cared.

I was just so afraid, and I know that's not an excuse for treating her the way I have. I was so scared of losing her again. I don't think I could handle it. Being in love at such a young age took a toll on my love life. I tried every possible way to forget her, to let her go, but nothing ever worked. Not even dating Emily, which was more of a popularity image than an actual relationship.

A knock on the bathroom door interrupts my thoughts, and I open it.

"Breakfast is ready." Mom says. She arches an eyebrow, putting her hands on her hips. "I heard you come in late last night. Where were you?"

I clear my throat, trying to come up with an excuse. I've never been a good liar when it comes to my mom, though, so I sigh and scratch the back of my neck.

"I followed Brianna to this concert because she went with this guy named Ryan who is really bad news, and I told her not to go, but she was mad and lonely so she did anyways. I've been such a dick to her, Mom. And I kissed her last night. While she was drunk. And I feel so awful about it. She won't even remember. She thinks I hate her, when really I'm just afraid to love her." I run a hand over my face, not looking into her eyes.

Mom sighed, walking over to my king sized bed and sitting down, patting the spot beside her. I walk over and sit, ready to hear one of my mom's motivational lectures.

"Dylan, you're 18. It's okay to feel confused. She was your childhood best friend. And she's incredibly beautiful and sweet, the opposite of that girl Emily. But baby, you need to get her before it's too late. A girl as beautiful as her won't be available for long. Now come downstairs and eat." She ruffles my hair and we walk down the staircase into the kitchen.

***

I've been pacing in front of Brianna's blue front door for twelve minutes now.

What do I say? Does she even know? What if she hates me? What if-

Suddenly the door swings open and Brianna starts to walk out. She looks up and sees me, letting out a startled shriek in the process.

I can't help but take in her body. She's wearing a huge shirt and... I'm not even sure if she's wearing pants. I immediately look back into her eyes, debating on what to say.

"What do you want?" She asks, walking past me and down to the mailbox. I follow after her, deciding to play dumb.

"How was the concert?" Seriously, Dylan? That's the best you got?

"Uhh, I'm not really sure. All I remember is that Ryan gave me spiked punch and then we went outside and..." She trails off, opening her mailbox. She looks through it and sighs. "I don't remember anything else." She looks up suspiciously. "Why?"

"That's all you remember?" I ask, my heart beating out of my chest. I'm not sure if I should mention the fact she was almost raped. It doesn't seem like the right time.

"Yeah... Dylan what's going on? Did something happen?"

"No, just making sure. Do you want to-"

"If you're about to ask me to do anything with you, you're delusional. You've been a complete dick to me. I have nothing to do with you." She brushes past me, hitting my shoulder with hers in the process.

Fuck. I messed up.