Chapter Ten: Headmistress of Hearts

En başından başla

Katerin looked around with a deep breath, and remembered a thousand memories, of cleaning the rugs with a brush and a bucket, of waiting for Kindra and Mordai, of running down the steps with the lightest of feelings after every punishment was done.

"Are you alright?" Fykes asked her, when she was silent.

She squeezed his hand. "Just reminiscing. Thank you for coming with me."

Fykes grinned. "Why would we leave you to climb all those stairs, alone?"

Before she could respond, Gimery exited Halemeda's office and waved them forward. "She'll see you Katerin, and one of your friends," he said.

Brazen looked more taken with the small window than he did with the idea of going anywhere else, and Arjiah waved a hand. "Go on," she said.

Gimery closed the door behind Katerin and Fykes with a quiet click.

Halemeda's office was a mixture of red, tan and gold, and just as rich as it had ever been. Her desk was a dark stained wood with gold filigree around it. And the woman that sat beyond the desk was a sight to behold. She looked no older than she had when Katerin had first met her, and her soft lips gleamed crimson. She uncrossed her legs and stood from her padded high-backed chair with all the grace of a dancer, and her gown swished across the floor as she embraced Katerin.

Halemeda placed both her hands on Katerin's face and kissed each cheek, leaving stains. "Oh, my dear Katerin."

Katerin's memories pulled her thoughts to the many times she listened to that song-like voice that could turn stern within a moments notice. "It's good to see you," Katerin said, ignoring the red stain on her cheeks. "Let me introduce Gregorio Fykes," Katerin turned as Halemeda did, and saw the twinkle in the woman's eyes. The charms of an enchantress never do fade, she thought, remembering the lyrics of a song she had heard as a child.

"It's a pleasure," Halemeda said, as she held out a hand.

Fykes bent in the most gentlemanly manner and kissed Halemeda's hand. "The pleasure is all mine, Headmistress. I've heard wonderful things about you."

Halemeda eyed Katerin with a narrow but playful stare. "I'm sad to say this is the first I've heard of you." She gestured to the chairs around her desk and swished back to her chair. "Please sit." She looked to Katerin, "Surely you met this one somewhere more civilized than that Itrea you're so fond of, now."

"I met him on the very shore of the frontier," Katerin said.

"A mystery then," she replied, smiling sweetly to Fykes.

Katerin took her seat, her thoughts fighting her control. She wanted to ask about the city, about Kindra and Mordai, and the guards. But she knew better than to rush the headmistress' formalities. Halemeda was never one to skip formalities, and it had done her many favors.

"Wine?" Halemeda asked.

Katerin agreed, knowing better than to refuse.

The headmistress gestured delicately, and three crystal glasses floated from the bar to land before each of them. She looked to Katerin with a question in her eyes, and Katerin nodded in response. A decanter that matched the glasses floated from the bar at her gesture and filled each of their glasses only halfway.

Halemeda gave a sharp nod. "You haven't lost your touch."

"I never could." You only made me practice a thousand times, she thought.

The Headmistress sighed. "I wish I could say how delighted I am that you've come to visit me, and tell me of your travels, but I know better. I remember the girl who refused the invitation to devote herself to the study of enchantments under me, in favor of the evocation you so adore. You aren't here to explain how you managed to achieve a title and secure a minor station of nobility, so I'll assume you have questions."