(22)

I'm back! May need to reread a bit :)

<><><><>

I submit the essay, stretching out the cramps from sitting at this kitchen table all night. Online learning has never been so convenient. Thanks Harvard. 

"Are you still going?" Cole asked surprised, walking into the kitchen. "It's almost midnight."

"Coffee is really useful". I point out. "I've got a couple more essays to finish by the end of the week, and need to study."

"I feel you." He yawns, pouring himself a cup of my freshly brewed batch. "I'm only halfway through the textbook and it only reminds me how stupid I am." I look out the window, and it's still pounding down with rain.

"You might get lucky." I shrug. "The storm might make them cancel your exam." 

"I hope so." He sighs. "Everyone's officially asleep, and I'm going to join them. You alright down here alone?"

"Yep." I smile. "It's peaceful. I love the rain and I'm enjoying getting all my work done. In a clean house. Crazy concept."

"Enjoy." He laughs, kissing the top of my head. "But sleep soon."

He disappears up the stairs, and I lean back, enjoying the sound of the rain. The house is so peaceful at this time of night. Everyone under the same roof, no arguing, now rushing around. Peace. I sip my coffee, reading over my notes. I'm kind of proud about how well I've managed juggling school vs housewife life. 

It's been a couple days now that Alex is officially living here again. It was awkward at first, but it was the right thing to do. He gets to reconnect with his family again, and I no longer feel like I was blocking him from doing that. Sleeping is difficult for me though. I'm having to almost train my body to not need him at night. After two years of relying on the comfort and safety of sleeping next to someone, that's really hard to do. Especially considering that someone is now sleeping so close, right in the room next door to mine. Safety and comfort just out of reach.

<><><><>

"Harper." 

"Harper wake up. Please." 

I jolt, feeling someone shaking me in the dark.

"Will, what's wrong?" I mumble, trying to wake up properly, pulling him up onto my bed.

"I heard noises outside." He says, his voice trembling. "I woke up."

"It's just the wind." I sigh, pulling my covers over him. "A storm is coming."

"No, I heard banging and smashing." He whispers. "It scared me." I check the time, and it's five in the morning. I really do love my life.

"I promise you, it's the wind and things crashing around." I say. "Go back to sleep, we have another hour."

"Ok." He sighs, cuddling into me. I rub his back, comforting him. Will finds any excuse to join me or the other boys in bed. A habit that we haven't been able to stop yet. 

I hear Will's breath evening out, and I know he's gone back to sleep. But I'm now officially awake. Drinking coffee all night and only getting to sleep at three AM, really does wonders to your body clock. I slide out of bed, tucking Will in. 

I may as well start my day.

Before I even get down the stairs, I see Hayden and Jake at the bottom.

"Why are you guys up?" I ask. "It's way too early."

"Did the banging wake you up too?" Jake asks. "We came down to see what it was."

"I'm sure it's just the wind." I sigh, joining them in the living room. "A hurricane is on it's way guys."

"No, I heard voices." Hayden says concerned. "And smashing."

"Ok." I assure him. "Let's go check to be safe." 

We quickly put on boots and raincoats. The rain has briefly stopped, but the wind is still heavy. I'm sure it's nothing, but the last thing I want is a house full of freaking out boys.

Hayden unlocks the door and we follow him out. My jaw couldn't have dropped to the floor faster than what it did. 

Our front yard is trashed. Completely trashed. All of the cars have been beaten, windows smashed, tires slashed. Our letter box is now in pieces, our porch is smashed up. This wasn't wind. 

"Who would do this?" Hayden asks, confused.

"Go get Cole, Hayden." I say quietly. He runs inside, and I look to Jake. He already knows what I'm thinking.

"Should we call the police?" He asks. 

"I guess." I shrug. "They won't do anything."

"They're getting confident." He says. 

"I know." I sigh.

My phone rings, and I pull it out of my pocket. My heart almost stops, it's an unknown number. I already know who it is. I answer, but don't speak. My hand shaking, I bring it up to my ear.

"Hi darling." My blood freezes, as I hear my Quentin speak.

"You aren't going to speak to me?" He chuckles. "I'm sitting here with your father. We just paid a visit to your front yard." I manage to sit down on the front porch steps, before I fall down.

"What do you want?" I spit out.

"It was a warning." He says. "You haven't been replying to our texts."

"Why would I want to respond to you?" I stutter.

"We've been trying to remind you of the good old days." He says. "Trying to remind you what you left."

"Why can't you just leave me alone." I sigh, starting to rock.

"Because you don't deserve it." He snaps, raising his voice. "You deserve to suffer. You drove us out of this town, you tried to ruin us. You deserve nothing."

"I've moved on." I try. "Why can't you do that too?"

"Do you remember when you were nine, sweetheart?" My body has given up on me. I'm trying to keep the memory out of my head.

"When we needed money?" He chuckles. "You got yourself into trouble, and you earned back our respect by helping us out?" 

I feel the tear roll down my cheek, my body rocking hard. I haven't thought about this memory since I was nine. My mind blocked out the trauma and it barely resurfaced. I never told anyone. Not even Alex.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I ask.

"Just wanted to remind you what you're worth." He says. "You will never be anything more, you hear us? Now we have to go. But I promise you, you will hear from us soon. We aren't done with you." 

The phone line goes dead, and I let the phone drop to the floor of the porch. I feel my body shaking, and I'm sobbing. There are certain memories in my past that my mind subconsciously made me forget, out of survival. I hear people call my name, but my vision goes blurry, and I'm lying on the floor. 

The memories are coming back and all I can do is hold on, praying I don't fade away back into them.