Chapter Two- Lock on Target

Shuichi stared out the window as the subway sped along, watching the city skyline rush past, the lights blurring together. He hugged his bag tightly, feeling like the file inside was going to explode at any given moment. A weird feeling was haunting Shuichi, like as if someone was watching him, but he felt as though it was just stress and paranoia that was bothering him.

The subway slowed down to his stop, so Shuichi hoisted his bag onto his shoulder and made his way off the subway and began making his way out of the station and towards his apartment, where he knew that his roommate, Kaito, was waiting for him. Walking back towards the apartment, with rain still coming down on his umbrella, Shuichi found the quiet street combined with the rhythmic pattern of rain his his umbrella, calming, which is exactly what he needed. A shadow flashed at the corner of his eyes, and Shuichi turned around with a start, scanning the surrounding area. The streetlamps around illuminating the rain as it fell, and nearby shops and apartment buildings lit up the place more. Nothing out of the ordinary stood out. Shuichi shook his head. He must really be losing it to be seeing things, he thought before continuing on his way.

•••

"Hey Shuichi! Welcome back!" Shuichi looked up to see his best friend, Kaito, standing at the doorway with a big grin.

"Hey Momota-kun." He greeted Kaito, with a small smile.

"Geez man! You're soaking wet! Even with that cool little- cloak thing you have on!" Kaito noted.

"A-ah, yeah... it's not all that useful in rain protection, really." Shuichi responded, taking off his shoes and hanging his cloak on the jacket rack to dry along with his umbrella. He then began making his way to his room, calling out behind him, "I'm just going to put my bag down, Momota-kun!" Shuichi heard a faint response from behind him just before he entered the room he and Kaito shared.

The light blue walls and glow-in-the-dark stars seem to welcome him. Shuichi walked past his loft bunk bed and made his way into the closet, where he hung his bag on a rack inside, and hesitantly took the bag's contents out. A pretty thick file, a pencil case, and his laptop. Shuichi dropped them off at the desk beneath his loft bunk bed before walking out and to the kitchen. 8pm is pretty late for dinner, but it was normal in Shuichi's case, as he sat down. Shuichi looked at the plate in front of him and was astonished. Miso soup, rice, salmon, and a side of veggies of all kinds, all still hot and steaming. Kaito joined him at the table, and seeing his surprised expression, he laughed.
"You must be wondering how I made it huh?" Shuichi nodded, still flabbergasted. "Well, you're smart! Guess the answer!" Shuichi thought for a moment before answering,
"You... didn't?"
"Ding ding ding! As expected from you Shuichi!" Kaito responded light heartedly. "I can't take care of myself well enough so I hired a maid to help us out!"
"You what??"
"Her name's Kirumi Tojo! And for a cheap worker, she's a good one!"
"Wait, hold on. What did you do??"

"I hired a maid. She's going to help us clean the house and cook our dinner, since I can't cook to save my health and yours." Shuichi looked at the food, which looked very appetizing, but Shuichi just didn't feel hungry, despite the last time he ate being at noon. A sinking, heavy feeling was taking up his appetite.
"I... I'm not that hungry. I had a late lunch so... I'll eat this in the morning." Shuichi lied, standing up. Kaito gaped at him.
"Shuichi- are you sure?" He asked, concern in his voice, making Shuichi feel guilty. Shuichi smiled sheepishly, and replied,
"Yeah! Don't worry about me. I'll be in the room."
"Shuichi wait-" Shuichi left before Kaito could finish calling after him, making his way back into the room, and flopping into the chair. He stared at the file on the desk, before sighing and opening it to get to work.

•••

Kaito's snoring filled the room, as the only light source came from the lamp on Shuichi's desk. The star clock on Kaito's bedstand read 2:12am. Shuichi gazed at his computer screen with weary eyes. He has reviewed the missing detectives profiles and checked all possible and impossible places for them to have been, over and over again, and nothing came from the six hours he sat at that desk, staring at the screen and papers. Though, that was a bit of a lie. At least Shuichi knew where to begin checking. The alleys without cameras and abandoned shops and buildings would be a good start. Shuichi laid his head on his desk with a sigh before sitting back up. Sleeping would be good for him.

Shuichi stood up, but as he was about to begin preparing for bed, he felt it again. That sensation of being watched. Shuichi peeked outside the window. Nothing. He opened the window and looked left and right. Nothing. Of course there wouldn't be anything, his and Kaito's apartment was on the fourth floor after all. He must be imagining it from exhaustion. Shuichi closed the window and blinds and went on to prepare for bed. After he was done, Shuichi climbed up to his bed and fell asleep immediately, a cool wind blowing through the room, flapping the blinds gently.