The next day the young alpha goes to the study, looking for the book he always saw his mother reading.

Deadly Doses

Joseph flips through the pages, each one decorated with many, many recipes of deadly concoctions. He stumbles onto a certain page marked by a simple white ribbon. Ricin, Castor Beans. The page had a simple list of instructions and a detailed diagram of the plant. A plant hes noticed growing in the garden where hed play with his siblings. Taking the book, he makes haste to the gardens.

Joseph spots the said plant, its lush dark green leaves blending perfectly with the poinsettias. However, its bright red fruit stands out from the darker poinsettia petals. With pods which colors so vibrant it shines, there is no doubt its the plant hes searching for. The Ricinus plant. Joseph crouches down, gathering as much of the deadly plants seed pods as he could muster. If he wants to save Claude, he shouldnt leave any for the enemy to use.

Running into his bedroom, he locks the door and takes out the pestle and mortar he sneaked in from his fathers study the other night. He pops open the seed pods revealing the dark, unassuming seeds, but Joseph knows just how dangerous these small beans are. He follows the instructions, removing the outer coat of the beans, gently mashing them inside the mortar, and adding water. And hes done it. The mortar filled to the brim with the clear, scentless poison.

This is what his parents wanted to use to kill his brother. He grins, eyes glinting in sadistic amusement. What if they tasted some of their own medicine instead?

He carefully uses a syringe to take a generous amount of the poison before disposing of the rest of it down the drain. He hides the syringe in his pocket, making sure the glass apparatus isnt peaking out from pocket before making his way to the kitchen. He sneaks his way towards the kitchen island where he sees two beautiful porcelain cups seated on a silver tray along with a teapot filled with his parents favorite tisane tea and some biscuits. Those must be for them, they always have afternoon tea.

He quietly opens the lid of the teapot and injects the entirety of the syringes contents into the tea. Joseph watches as the clear liquid mixes with the light auburn tea, the teas sweet, floral fragrance left untainted. The poison is undetected as it blends with the tisane tea turning into a deadly concoction. Now all he has to do is wait.

That night he sits in the study feeling satisfied with himself, letting himself relax and read a good book while he waits for the news. A sudden set of footsteps interrupts his reading, he watches as the ravenette girl takes a seat next to him with her favorite book in her hands, Romeo and Juliet.

Mary, are mother and father finished with their afternoon tea?

She looks at him with clear confusion. Mother and father are out for a meeting. Didnt they tell you?

Joseph looks at her, eyes widening ever so slightly, Oh? No, they didnt I guess I wasnt there to see them off.

Mary rolls her eyes, Of course you werent. I havent seen you all day, even Claude was looking for you. He was hoping to have tea with you. I couldnt join him today, such a shame.

Josephs blood runs cold. The tea... His eyes widen as tears slowly fill his blue eyes. C-Claude Joseph could feel Marys concerned gaze on his as the tears fall faster. I-Im He brings his hands to his eyes as he harshly rubs his eyes, warm tears smearing across his face. Sobs wracking his body as his sister envelops him in a concerned hug, the tears only falling faster and faster. I-Im sorry Im sorry!

That night Joseph ran to Claudes bedroom, eyes red from tears as he slips into his brother's bed. He buries his face into the soft silk of his nightgown, inhaling his brothers sweet rose and chocolate scent. He could feel his brother shift, turning to face him. His warm ocean blue eyes staring right into Josephs with a gentle smile on his face. Slowly, the tears start to fall again.