19 ✙ Rending All False Hope

Start from the beginning

"When Ludis said you would be here, I did not believe him at first." Both sets of arms crossed as she pursed her lips. Renvir wrapped himself with his wings, seeing as she had taken most of the sheet. "I expected more from one of our former leaders."

Her finger pointed at Asa. "And you wanted a chance to prove yourself, yet you have already broken the pathetically small branch of faith I lent you."

"But-"

"To the Core Center. Both of you."

Zienna called for her first

Zienna called for her first. The maw of the doors engulfed her as she walked through. The bright gem lighting left no shadows to hide from the Celest's cold stare. Even though the windows rose stories into the sky, they placed her on display for all to see.

Her mistake laid bare on the blemishless marble floor in front of them. The Head Core Reformer motioned to the single chair in front of her polished desk. Asa's presence was a mere stain in the landscape.

"Sit."

Asa took hesitant steps forward, slipping into the seat. Zienna pulled out the notes the medic had given her on their trek back. In her claws, she held everything. All of her progress within the twenty-four days with Renvir's condition spread out before them.

"I must admit I did not expect you to find a way to manage his symptoms."

A spark of hope lit inside her chest. Maybe she hadn't screwed everything up. The medic bit her lip, searching for the best way to navigate the cold waters of their conversation.

"I didn't want to be idle when tending to him."

"You certainly were not idle." Zienna laced her words with a particular inflection that made Asa uncomfortable. She crossed her legs, trying to erase last night's passion from her mind. After a pause, the Head Core Reformer spoke again. "Is this the same plant that kei is made from?"

"Yes. Alone, it doesn't do much, but it seems to strengthen the other medications."

"Fascinating."

The Celest rubbed the bottom of her chin then turned a page. Asa's thoughts, despite her best efforts, kept drifting to her patient. She didn't want him punished for her mistake, for the fact she couldn't have waited until after her fertile period to satiate her pleasures.

"What will happen to Renvir?"

Zienna's eyes flicked up, meeting the medic's gaze. Asa's heart skipped a beat.

"It would be a shame to waste your progress. Renvir will stay here in the Core Center for a few weeks in the mutations division. Ludis will take over his care. I will give him a copy of your notes."

Asa's fangs threatened to descend. She could tolerate another medic or a Core Reformer taking care of her patient. But she didn't trust Ludis; he didn't care what happened to the Celest. She did.

Her fists clenched, trying to ignore the cruel irony of the situation. In all honesty, she shouldn't have let herself care. Neither of them would be here if she had stuck to curing him.

"As for you," Zienna said as though oblivious to the medic's rising anger. The Celest pulled out a glass of water and a vial of blue liquid. Pouring it into the glass, she stirred until the water clouded into an opaque substance.

"Drink."

Questions bred in Asa's mind. Despite her growing feeling of dread, she took it from the desk. The liquid rose up and down, nearly spilling over.

"What is it?" The medic asked though she wasn't sure she wanted the answer.

"A hormonal agent. It will stop the fertilization of his egg."

Bile rose in the medic's throat. She stared down into the blue abyss, drowning her dreams of a family with it. This was for the better. She was never supposed to become Renvir's mate. Even with these convictions, the liquid left a bitter taste in her mouth. And it burned going down.

Asa fought back the tears. Her stomach knotted as her hands strayed to her belly. No, she didn't want his child or the possibility of one. She balled her hands into fists, refusing to give in to the tidal wave of emotions seething beneath her scales.

"You will work in emergency and clinic care until I feel you are ready to handle a patient alone."

With sudden fervor, her stomach growled. A stinging sensation erupted in Asa's abdomen. She doubled over. Despite her attempts to stop them, stray tears fell from her eyes.

"Good, it is working," the Head Core Reformer said.

"How long will it hurt?" The medic's words came through with a groan.

"Physically, one Celestial hour." Zienna's gaze came to a rest on the desk in front of her. Her voice quieted. "Emotionally, only the Two know."