Two

I get up earlier than Max, at around 6:30. Even though I was up late, I always wake up early in the morning.

Since my other clothes aren't clean, I don't change out of his, and head to the kitchen. It's a mess. I'm not shocked, since Max was always a little messy when we dated. The least I can do is clean up, since he's letting me stay here.

I wash the dishes, throw away food wrappers, and put away appliances. When I'm done, I start two cups of coffee.

"Morning," Max says.

He comes into the kitchen around 8, wearing a suit and tie. I hand him his coffee. "Morning."

"Thanks for cleaning up."

"Least I could do." I sip my coffee beside him. "I'll get a job and pay you rent, but for now..." It's a pretty bad exchange, and I'm kind of embarrassed about it.

"Don't worry about it." Max says, awkwardly rubbing my shoulder.

"Um, I should probably go job hunting." I say.

"Why don't you just rest today. You can't go get a job in those sweat pants, and I'll get you something to wear on my way home."

I blush, staring at the floor. Great, now he's buying clothes for me.

"Oh, I didn't- you can pay me back. Just stay here for the day, please? You look weak."

"Thanks." I scoff before I can stop myself.

"Cate, please don't be difficult."

"Me? Never."

Max smirks. "Of course not. Just please stay here? I'll be back around seven."

"Yeah, I'll stay here."

"Okay, then. Bye, Cate."

"Bye bye."

There's nothing to do. I watch reality TV for a while, and when I get bored of that I make a PBJ for lunch. It's only 12:30.

I sigh. Max said not to leave the apartment, but I need a job. Like, now. I feel too bad for sleeping here for free.

I do look like shit, though. I comb out my hair, and pull it into a ponytail. I look a little better. I slip into my ratty sandals, and look at myself. A little better. Locking the door behind me, I leave the apartment.

Job hunting does not go well. It's 9 when I get back, and I couldn't even find anywhere within walking distance that was hiring. Stupid, I think, You look homeless, because you are, and now Max is probably pissed.

I knock on the door.

"Cate, oh my God." Max answers immediately, pulling me inside. "Where the fuck have you been?"

"Job hunting." I answer.

"How'd that go?"

"Don't be a smart ass." I glare at him.

"No, no, I'm curious Cate. How did that go? Because you look like you're fucking starving, you're wearing pajamas, what did you think would happen?"

There's an edge to his voice that I don't like.

"I'm sorry, Max."

"I'm just glad you're okay. Have you eaten? Like, recently?"

I shake my head.

"I have some Chinese leftover."

"Thanks." I mumble as he warms up fried rice in the microwave.

I'm starving, but I try not to scarf it down. Max sits with me while I eat, then takes the dishes.

"You can't do shit like that, Cate. Just endanger yourself. I was worried."

"I'm really sorry." I know what's coming.

"I think you need a spanking. And I think you know you need it, too."

I nod, and take my pants down. No matter how many times this has happened, I still feel like vomiting.

"Apparently, your lesson last night didn't get through." Max says with a harsh volley of smacks.

I squirm as he delivers them, pain building in my exposed bottom.

"Ow," I whimper, squeezing my eyes to keep tears from falling down my face, but they do.

He stops when I'm crying steadily, and I take a minute to recover.

I jerk my pants up, and he hugs me.

"Promise you'll never worry me like that again."

I nod, and before I can think, I press my lips against his. Maybe out of habit, maybe because I'm emotional, I don't know.

"Cate." He says once we pull away.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I didn't-"

"It's okay." Max says, awkwardly rubbing my back. "Wanna see the clothes I got you?"

I nod. He brings out three pantsuits, one black, one red, and one white.

"I hope they fit. You can try them on tomorrow."

"Oh my god, thank you." I smile.

"And I got you a job."

"Seriously? No way."

"Yes way. A week ago, my receptionist quit. The positions open if you want it." Max smiles.

"Of course I want it!"

He hangs the clothes up, and gives me a hug.

"Thank you for everything. I owe you."

"Don't worry about it, Cate." Max says. "I don't know about you but I'm tired. See you in the morning."

"Yeah. Night." I casually rub my bottom with one hand and wince as he walks off, the sting slowly going away.

"Stinging a little?" He calls from hall.

"Yeah. A little." I roll my eyes, and head off to bed.