Chapter 27; Breakdown.

Start from the beginning

"I have nothing to tell you Kendra. You're not ready to listen. But, it isn't until you're at the bridge between life and death that you will know how much you want to live, regardless of who or what is present in that life."

He kissed my forehead and left to join my mother.

I'd be lying if I said his words didn't affect me because they did.

Yet, my father hadn't realized that, I was at a point where I didn't care any longer.

***
Everything passed by in a blur and soon, Emily was six feet under.

Almost everyone had left the cemetery, just a few were still around.

Ethan didn't show up. I was glad he got the message. Really? My subconscious mocked.

I noticed someone in the corner, making her way towards me.

My body stiffened.

I wasn't really angry at her, I just needed someone to bear my guilt.

It was terrible of me actually. To not own up to my faults while consequently pushing them onto others.

She walked past me and placed the flowers she was holding on the fresh grave.

I turned towards her, no longer interested in the departing invitees.

After a moment, she stood up and came to my side.

"Kendra," she said softly.

"Kenna." I wasn't in the mood.

"She was a part of my life too you know. I watched her grow up, I watched her mould you back after Luke broke you, I watched her bring light into your life. But most of all, I watched her become the family I never had, all in one person. I loved her Ken, more than you allow yourself to believe."

She was trying to make me feel bad. I couldn't think of any other reason why she would be saying this.

I knew very well about Kenna's history. She was an illegitimate child whose mother died when she was only six years old.

She was sent to live with her father and his other family.

They never accepted her, which led her to spend most of her time in libraries and consequently at the hospital.

She always avoided going home. She would prefer to take a shift for you just so she could stay at the hospital while you did whatever you liked.

She didn't even need the money. She only needed acceptance from a family that wanted nothing to do with her.

"You shouldn't be here." I simply said.

"On the contrary Ken, I should be here. I am- was her aunt." She whispered and I could her voice break at the end.

"I don't want to see you." I said coldly.

Even my heart broke as I said those words.

Kenna had always been like an elder sister to me. Most of our colleagues had many times commented on how much we looked alike. Even our habits were somewhat same.

"I'll leave. I just have this, you have the right to be hurt. Just don't let the pain consume you. I'd hate to see the things you're doing now catch up with you in the future." She took my hand which lay limp by my side, squeezed as a sign of comfort and left entirely.

I'd hate to see the things you're doing now catch up with you in the future.

Those had been her words.

What things was she talking about?

Everything I had done so far was justified, right?. I was hurt tremendously.

I watched Emily's grave for another hour before slowly marching to the car my parents had hired.

When we got home, I went upstairs.

I heard my mom gasp. I was shocked too.

This was my first time coming up here since I came back from the hospital.

But my feet had developed a mind of their own.

Once at my destination, they halted.

I opened the door and found her room just the way it was before we went to the hospital a week before the surgery.

My fingertips grazed her reading table and everything else on it.

I then made my way to her bed and picked up her blanket.

I brought it to my nose and I could still get a faint strawberry scent.

That was all it took before I fell to the floor with her blanket in my arms and broke down.

Hey lovelies. We're at 3k reads.

Please please please vote.

I won't update for a while. I wanna go through the first chapters and make them more readable.

I tried reading the story from Chapter 1 today, and I was pretty bored at the start. I hadn't realized how much my style of writing had changed. So, I'm going to fix that. I hope you understand.

Much love, Joy.