Part 10 - The Feast

Start bij het begin

"Come on, Mr. Creaveley, let go of 'is ear, otherwise it'll be as big as yours!" Somebody shouted from behind.

The Peacekeeper stood forward, and in a loud, booming voice shouted:

"Who said that? Whoever said that, come out now, or you'll be strangled!"

Naturally, nobody came forward. Silence hung in the air, and the Peacekeeper frowned.

"I will deal with you later!" he said, and turned towards Mr.Jefforey, looking up for a moment to register the other two power plants. Seeing that nothing else interesting was happening, the Peace-Keeper began to speak once more.

"Mr Court Jefforey, you will acompany Mr. Creaveley and I to the town square, and will stand upon the stage."

The 'stage' was a whole lot of wood nailed together for the reaping tributes.

"What, what are you doing? I haven't..."

Mr. Jefforey was pulled away by the two men, and we all follower in eagerness.

Once we the crowd of people from Power Plant One had arrived to the square, other people had notcied. Soon the entire district was watching Mr Jefforey as he struggled to entangle himself from the Peace-Keepers grasp. I could see tears of frustration leaking from his eyes, his plaid shirt becoming loose from his jeans as he struggled; kicking, wriggling and punching.

Mr.Creavely took over holding Mr. Jefforey as the Peace - Keeper stood at the centre of the stage, hands behind his back.

"Charges are as follow : Court Agustus Jefforey, you are accused of the stolen property of food from Power Plant One. Eye witness Mr. Creavely reports that he has seen you red handed, hiding biscuits, cheese and other goods into your briefcase. He also reports that you have taken a steak knife and the money from the jar on top of the fridge in the kitchen. Is this true?"

Everybody looked over at Mr. Jefforey. He looked terrible; his face was white, and sweat trickled down his face. He seemed to have calmed down a little, but still squirmed in his boss' arms.

"Well... yes, but I have a family of three-"

"Then by contract of the Capitol the accused-"

"I HAVE TO FEED A FAMILY OF THREE! I HAVE A WIFE AND THREE CHILDREN! I CAN'T POSSIBLY AFFORD ENOUGH FOOD FOR ALL OF THEM WITH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY I'M GIVEN. WERE HUNGRY PEOPLE, PLEASE!"

Mr. Creavely started to smile, and I felt bile rise to my throat.

"Were all hungry, Mr. J, so shut up and listen to ya consequences for stealin' my property!"

The Peace - Keeper cleared his throat.

"Then by contract of the Capitol, the accused shall be strangled to death as a consequence of defying the law."

"What? No, No!"

The kicking starts again. I feel something slide from my hands, and I look down to see another Peace-Keeper with blonde hair holding my beloved skipping rope.

"No! My wife, my kids!" Mr. Jefforey screams.

There's movement in the crowd.

"Daddy! Daddy, stay there, were coming to get you! Daddy!" His children were obviously trying to get to him, but the croud are holding them back.

"Court, Court we love you! Don't you ever think twice about it!"

I remember looking behind me and seeing Mrs. Jefforey standing. Just standing. She's obviously given up hope.