21

Lyla paced.

She could've sworn she'd made a dip in the dirt beneath her feet.

The northerners had reached below the neck, now wandering the Riverlands. Lyla continued to pace.

"Lyla?" Jon's voice spoke from beside her. He placed a hand on her shoulder, but was surprised when she smacked it away. Lyla ignored him, shaking get head as she shakily ran a hand through her hair. "Lyla what in seven hells had been going on with you?!"

"I have to find it..." She muttered, dropping to the ground to flip through the pile of books leaned up against the tree.

"Gods, Lyla, you're going to drive yourself mad!" Jon exclaimed.

"Jon? Lyla? What's going on, is everything alright?" Daenerys tread over, concern filling her features.

Lyla's fingers danced over page after page. Jon thought it might be some travelers guide.

"I saw it... I saw it!" She hissed, gripping the book tightly.

"What are you going on about?" Jon leaned over her shoulder. His eyes widened. "Lyla, whatever you're reading about, it sounds dangerous..."

"The heart... I need to take it to the heart." Lyla skimmed the page, her eyes landing on the heading of the next page. "Aha!" It read The Shadow. Lyla yelped as two arms wrapped under her own, lifting her up off the ground.

"Cmon, Lyla. You need sleep." Jon demanded.

"Yes! More sleep, and then I'll find it..." Lyla mumbled, her eyes drooping as soon as she was laid down in her sleeping furs.

"Is she alright?" Daenerys mumbled to Jon worriedly. Jon opened his mouth, about to reassure her, until he realized he didn't know either. He inhaled deeply, then sighed.

"We'll see. Some rest has to do something for her." Jon deduced, leaving hastily.

---

Again! Again again again, Lyla was in the Shadow. She took off immediately, her wings beating heavier than ever, twisting around the river once more. Slowly, the red turned green again, and she dove over the cliff, into the abyss. She kept her eyes wide this time, despite how they got watery from the wind pushing against them.

Head first, she crashed into the bottom of the cavern. The green sludge claimed her. Her flesh burnt like nothing ever before. Lyla didn't even know dragons could burn. She regretted opening her eyes, the sludge getting into every crevice, every orifice of her body. Under her eyelids, behind her eyes, in her nose, under her scales, in her mouth.

Lyla wriggled beneath the sludge, but couldn't escape it. Holding her breath became more and more difficult as she continued to be suffocated.

No noise reached her add she flailed. It was deathly silent.

...

...

...

Her vision began to go black. She felt something leave her, something like that last breath of air she'd always heard soldiers talk about when seeing their friends die on the battlefield..

...

...

Lyla...

Lyla.

---

"Lyla?!" Jon shook his sister. She'd been asleep for two nights in a row. He'd decided to go and check on her at the risk of disturbing her well earned sleep.

Jon placed a hand over her mouth.

Nothing.

No air. No breathing.

He pressed a hand to her forehead, but hissed at how hot it was. Suddenly, a sickly fluid began to trickle out of her eyes, nose, and mouth. Green. Jon panicked even more, wiping a little bit away with his thumb, them howling as the acid singed his thumb terribly.

"Lyla?" Jon shook her again. "Lyla!"

In the next hour, she was announced dead.

---

Oof sorry if this sucked guys aaaaaaa ;-;