Chapter 4: The Eyes

Until Zeynep's arrival, Hayal and Barış stayed alone for an hour and a half. " For God's sake, where is she coming from?" She was losing her patience.

    "She has things to do in the hospital. I said it's urgent but it looks like there are urgent things there, too. Don't worry, I am sure she'll be here in a few minutes."

    She hadn't thought that the day would be stranger than it already is. Unlike her guesses Barış hadn't run away; moreover, he had stayed without asking any explanation. He wasn't talking about how much he loves her either like he usually does. She was starting to think that she was being unfair to him. If he could stop talking about his love, they could've been even friends.

    When she heard the key sounds she jumped out of her seat and run to the door. Zeynep understood the importance of the situation from her friend's coming to the door to meet her. She asked with worry: "What happened?" Then she looked at Barış who was standing at the room's door. Her concerns were straightened because she let him stay with her for all that time. Also, it was seen that something was happening from the way he was looking at her.

    "Zeynep, some terrible things happened. I should tell you from the beginning but you should see the news that I've seen today." She grabbed her from her arm and pulled her toward the computer hurriedly. The page was still open on the screen. She read the report quickly and asked: Is this Umut Karayel, is him?" She was confused and leery.

    "Yes." Hayal's voice was insecure, unlike her usual self.

    "All these fuss is for this?" She wasn't underestimating a young person's death. But she was thinking that a cheating ex-boyfriend's death wouldn't cause that much of a clamor.

    "Don't worry. There is more. While I was already shocked enough when I was reading the news. Then the doorbell rang. I knew it wasn't you, so I wasn't going to answer it but when it rang again and I couldn't ignore."

    "You wouldn't open it if you knew it was me." She couldn't stop herself from mentioning that she is offended. Even if it looked unimportant at that moment.

    Hayal stayed silent for a second and then continued her explanation: "Anyway... There was no one at the door but there was a package on the ground. I thought that it's one of Barış's absurd attempts; so I took it inside."

    Barış looked at her with rolling his eyes. "Seriously?"

    And she smirked at him. "Sorry but it's true." Then she continued again:

    "The thing I saw when I opened the box was..." She grabbed Zeynep from her arm again and pulled her away from her seat. They went to the table. She opened the box and put it in front of her.

    Zeynep's expression froze on her face and stayed there for a while. "So... Is this Umut's heart?" She noded. "All right, but who would send something like this to you and why?" Hayal gave her the card that came with the box. She took and read it.

    "What is this even mean? Have you understood anything? Hayal, who can do something like this? Why would anyone do something like this?" She realized that Hayal was averting her gaze. There were other things that she wasn't telling. "What are you hiding? What is the thing you aren't telling us?"

    "Do you have to know me that well?" She made her sit next to Barış. Now, they were looking at her with expectation.

    "Look. You know that I made the biggest mistake of my life and left the school. And like it's not enough, I also became an alcoholic. Those times weren't easy. They told me I need to forget all of my anger and hatred. It wasn't easy to forget as they told. All I wanted was revenge. I wouldn't mind if they die. One night, the anger inside me started to suffocate all of my existence. I wanted to do something. I wanted them to experience the same things that they made me feel. But unfortunately, I had no power to do that. Then I closed my eyes and started to imagine killing them. It made me calm down a little bit. That's why I did it every time I feel that anger. After a while, I figured it was working in the long run, too. It was the only thing that can cure me. I know, any normal person wouldn't get calm down with the idea of murder but I did. Maybe, mostly these thoughts were the things that made me the exact opposite of my old self but I didn't care." Zeynep and Barış were looking at her with blank faces. It was because they didn't know what to think.