Chapter 26; Lifeline.

Start from the beginning

After brushing my teeth, I knew what I had to do today.

I unlatched the door and headed in the direction of the voices I heard.

The voices led me to the dining area. Everyone stopped talking as I entered.

"I need the keys to my car." I told my father.

His face visibly paled and if this were another occasion, I would have laughed.

But, it wasn't.

"Dear, I can drive you where you want to go." He said softly.

"Thanks for the offer but no. Just the keys will do."

"Honey, can you at least tell us where you're going?" My mom tried.

I ignored her.

"Dad, my keys."

I could see from my peripheral vision, the tear which rolled down my mom's face.

I saw my father battle with himself internally before hesitantly handing me the keys.

I turned on my heels and bolted out.

Once I got into my car, something caught my attention.

I got out, fully aware of the three pairs of curious, pitiful and tear filled eyes watching me from the kitchen window.

I then opened the back door and stared at the cause of my misery.

Memories flooded my mind and before I knew it, I was attacking Emily's car seat.

My father was by my side in an instant, but I wasn't having it.

I fought with the car seat until it eventually gave up and unbuckled.

I huffed and threw it as far as my hands could throw. It ended in my lawn. Great.

"Kendra..." my father tried again.

I pushed him out of my way and got into the car.

I drove off but not before seeing my mom speaking frantically on the phone.

I drove to the mall.

I wasn't someone who enjoyed shopping but I sure as hell wasn't going into my room anytime soon and I needed clothes.

It took me thirty minutes to get huge black hoodies and t-shirts as well as black leggings, black jeans, a black dress, two pairs of black sneakers, a pair of black stilettos and three pairs of sandals in my new favourite colour.

Black.

Let's not forget underwear. All in all, it was a pretty black day for me.

I didn't understand how the sales girls managed to smile and be cheerful. I was sure I sucked the hope out of them as I left each store I visited.

After placing my bags in the car, I then got in and drove to a place i hadn't planned on going.

I parked my car by the side when I arrived. The last time I was here had been at least four months ago, and even then, I'd left a Disney star horrified as I rushed my daughter to the hospital.

It was a school day today, yet I managed to make it to the playground.

I sat on a bench and just watched as nothing happened.

My mind brought up memories of Emily and passed them in front of my eyes as though they were real.

Again, I waited for the tears but nothing came.