"And there were no good vantage points," Ahsoka reminded him gingerly.

     "Well, at least nothing serious happened tonight," Padmé said, trying to ease the tension.

     Oh, Master, if only you knew the whole story, Ahsoka cringed.

     Both Ahsoka and Lux had hounded and begged Korkie to not tell anyone about the kissing or anything else in that scenario. Korkie only agreed because he didn't want to recall all the details of them exchanging saliva.

     "Yeah, you're right," Anakin sighed.

     Then, against his inner judgement, he said, "Thanks for going to check out the building."

     "No problem, Master Jedi," Lux bowed politely. "If you'll excuse me, I must take my leave now."

     "Thank you for coming, Lux," Padmé smiled. "We appreciate the help."

     "Anything for you, Padmé. Goodbye, everyone."

     Ahsoka noticed how Lux's gaze connected with hers longer than the others', and so did Anakin.

     The four of them remained standing there awkwardly until Korkie cleared his throat and broke the silence.

     "Miss Padmé, do you know where my aunt is?"

     "Well, she went for a walk a little while ago, but I'm sure we can find her."

     The two left quickly and eagerly, leaving master and apprentice alone.

     "I said, 'Don't do anything I wouldn't do, Snips'."

     "I did! I mean, I didn't!" she responded.

     "Really? Well, what part of that included kissing Bonteri?!" he shouted, resuming his pacing.

     She winced. "How'd you know?"

     "Well, between that part where your microchips got too close and started to turn off, how Korkie couldn't get out of the room fast enough, and the fact that your... aura... in the Force is dangerously entwined with his... well, let's just say it wasn't too hard to make an educated guess."

     "Did anyone else know?"

     "No, and you should really be thanking me that I distracted Obi-Wan and the others when that happened."

     "I'm sorry, Master."

     "You know, I don't care about whatever caused you to kiss him, because I know you wouldn't have done it unless it was as a distraction, but it's the fact that I can tell you're glad it happened! Do you have any idea what would happen if someone else found out?!"

     Ahsoka stayed silent.

     "You would be expelled from the Jedi Order!" he paused, turning to look her dead in the eyes. "Doesn't that mean anything to you? How could you be so careless?"

     That doesn't exactly seem to be stopping you, she said through their bond, her gaze unwavering.

     Anakin's gaze hardened. That's low, Snips.

     I know, but it doesn't make you any less of a hypocrite.

     He sighed, looking away finally. "Padmé and I are..."

     But he didn't get to finish. An explosion knocked both of them down.

*****

     When Ahsoka woke, she thought she was dreaming.

     "...I'm tired of hiding this, of hiding us, Ani."

     "I know, Angel, but we can't just give everything up. I can't."

     There was an extended pause in which they were silent.

     Then, without even opening her eyes, Ahsoka could feel Anakin turn to look at her.

     "Ahsoka?"

     She rubbed her eyes, and Padmé immediately rushed over to her.

     "Ahsoka, we're so glad you're okay. We were so worried about you."

     "I'm alright." she croaked, quickly reaching for a nearby glass of water to sooth her dry throat.

     Padmé wouldn't look at Anakin, afraid her eyes would betray her emotional state.

     He sighed gently.

     "How are you feeling, Ahsoka, really?"

     "I think I'm okay," she responded before sitting up a bit. "I feel like I have bruised a rib or two, but it doesn't seem like I've taken any serious damage. Do they know what caused the explosion?"

     "Apparently it was just a maintenance malfunction. We were the only ones affected, fortunately, but--before you ask--I really don't think we were targeted. Obi-Wan and I couldn't find anything suspicious."

     "Oh. How long was I out?"

      "Just a few hours, but long enough that I had to tell Bonteri to leave and get some rest," he said bitterly.

     "Lux was here?" Ahsoka asked, trying--and failing--to hide her shock.

     "Yes, and I had a nice little chat with him."

     Ahsoka couldn't stop the little surprised gasp that escaped her lips. "You didn't."

     "I did," he retorted, crossing his arms. "I told him exactly what I thought of him, too."

     Before Ahsoka could say something else she'd regret, Padmé stood up to intervene. "I was here, Ahsoka, and you have nothing to worry about. Anakin, don't mislead her," she commanded.

     "Fine," he said grudgingly. "I told him that he better be good to you, or else I'll be there to deal with him."

     "Tell her the rest, Ani."

     Ahsoka glanced at the two of them then, but neither seemed to care about the revealing nickname.

    "I may have also said that as long as you were happy, then I suppose him and I could get along. And that he seemed to make you happy, as your... friend," Anakin paused. "I'm sorry I yelled at you earlier, Ahsoka. I just--don't want you to get too..." he searched for the right word. "Attached."

     Their conversation before the blast replayed in her head. "I know, Master, but you have to trust that I can take care of myself and handle my own... friendships. I may not know everything, but I do know that if anyone should be worried about being my friend, it's Lux. He knows I could beat him up at any moment."

     Anakin smirked a bit. "I suppose you're right."

     "Truce?"

     "Truce."

     "Now, can we please get out of here? I really hate these white medical gowns."

     "Sure thing, Ahsoka," Padmé smiled. "We should get going to prepare for the festival tomorrow night. Other than pickup day, tomorrow will be the largest and most grand event."