Ch13: Revue of the Sweets Wonderland

Hina heard a familiar gacha sound nearby. Lisa and Kaoru played a candy machine beside the register. Kaoru was especially mesmerized by the mechanism of the said machine and its colorful gumballs.

"Here, try it yourself!" said Lisa as she handed Kaoru a couple of coins.

"To guess what color will come out next..." Kaoru gazed at the candies inside with burning passion. "Aah, what a heart-pounding experience!"

Hina laughed. Although Kaoru maintained her composure, she couldn't hide her child-like purity... Which was fun to see.

After playing with the candy machine for a few minutes, the trio browsed at other sweets.

"Goodness gracious!" Kaoru gasped in surprise. She pointed at a row of candies sold in mini boxes. "How come they sell cigarettes at a kids' snack shop?!"

Hina laughed. Lisa's expression was kind of funny too; she struggled so hard to hold her laughter at Kaoru's obliviousness but decided to explain the stuff anyway.

"It's... Actually candies that are shaped and packaged like the real thing. It's a-hundred-percent safe for kids' consumption. Just sugar and some artificial flavorings, really."

"I see..." Kaoru nodded. "I suppose it's most likely used for playing-pretend mafias?"

Kaoru put a box of candy cigarettes in her shopping basket, then looked at other stuff. She stopped and looked at a small box that contained kinako sticks. The Haneoka prince picked the small stick. Her face looked puzzled.

"That's a kinako stick!" Hina said. "It's some kind of roasted soybean flour... Similar to mochi, I think?"

"I think I would love those," Kaoru rubbed her chin. "I especially love mochi—" The tall girl faked a cough. "—I mean, sachertorte is still my number one favorite sweets, but mochi is quite tasty as well."

"So, do you love mochi or not?" asked Hina confusedly.

"No, I didn't say that I love mochi." Kaoru crossed her arms. She averted her gaze to the kinako sticks box again. "Oh, it's 10K a box."

"Uh, it's 10 yen each," Lisa corrected.

"10 yen apiece?!" Kaoru couldn't hide her surprise. She held the whole box with trembling hands. "S-so cheap..."

"Even if we multiply them, it won't reach 10K. It's just about a hundred sticks or so per box." Lisa giggled. "Why did you come to that 10K conclusion anyway?"

"Kaoru's wallet is filled with Yukichi; maybe that's why!" guessed Hina.

The 10,000 yen note was the largest banknote denomination in Japanese yen. It featured a portrait of a Meiji era philosopher, Yukichi Fukuzawa. Thus, making the note nicknamed "Yukichi".

"Jeez, you're making me jelly, Kaoru!" teased Lisa. "No high schooler collects Yukichi in her wallet."

"Huh? I thought everyone had at least a dozen of Yukichi inside their wallets."

While the topic about Yukichi went on, Hina overheard two girls talking from outside of the shop.

"Is this... the shop?" said a girl doubtfully. "It's not going to collapse anytime soon, right?"

"Quelle horreur!" Another girl spoke in French but switched to Japanese right away. "W-we should probably stick to the choux à la crème after all..."

Hina frowned. Why would they say that granny's place was going to collapse? It wasn't like this building was made from cardboards. And what the heck choux à la crème was anyway?