Fifteen

__

"Did you know Whitney and Blair have a kid together?" Toni asked Shemar, as the two of them were seated upon the sofa in the living quarters of their suite. She had been skimming through a Vogue magazine while he watched television.

The man continued to watch what was on the tv, but responded back with, "now baby, you know you have never been good at telling jokes. That's not funny." He shook his head from side to side, wondering why Toni would even say something of the sort.

"I am not telling—I am dead serious, Shemar." She replied, after she rolled up the reading material and popped him with it. "Whitney and Blair have a kid together, I swear."

The man grabbed a nearing remote control, shutting the power off on the television. He then sat up a bit on the sofa and eyed Toni with seriousness. "Okay, how are you so sure about this?"

Toni's shoulders shrugged, moving up and down. "Last night we finally found out why Whitney has been hating Mariah for so long." She goes on to tell him about all that occurred at the group meeting. How it was revealed that Whitney and Blair's affair resulted in a child, just before the abrupt marriage of Mariah and Blair.

"Goddamn," Shemar replied, continuing to look within his wife's direction. "That's some deep shit. I probably would've hated Mariah ass too." He moved his body in motions that displayed his disbelief.

Instantly, a sense of curiosity fell upon the woman's face. "Do you...do you think Bobby knows?" She placed the index finger of her left hand upon her chin, looking at her husband sideways. "Y'know...that Blair is the biological father...and not him?"

Shemar released rather heavy breaths. He appeared to have been in deep thought, carefully thinking of his friends' newly acknowledged situation. He tried to view it in a way of placing himself in Bobby's shoes. "Nah. Ain't no way he could know. Just saying if it was me, I ain't about to be on no vacation with a brother I know my wife cheated with."

Toni hurriedly removed her pupils from his, shifting them to the floor beneath them. She couldn't help but to feel guilt surround her feet, reminding her of the affair she took part in. Little did Shemar know, he was on a vacation with someone his wife had cheated with.

Now while they continued to wonder the gist of exactly what was in Bobby's knowledge or not, Whitney had actually been out of their suite and making her way toward Mariah's.

It was heading towards six in the evening and she hadn't spoken to the woman—nor any of her friends—since the previous night at the group meeting. That night was so intense, so heavy, maybe everyone had felt that they could use a moment or two to simply just breathe.

But, Whitney couldn't sit still. She knew that at some point, she needed to face the very situation that had been sitting within her heart for years long.
She needed to make her peace with it.

Standing before Mariah's suite, the woman positioned her fist in a motion that prepared her to knock upon the door. But she stopped herself, growing a bit hesitant. Was this the right thing for Whitney to do? To approach Mariah, hopeful of some resolving conversation?

She was uncertain. She did not want things to further escalate. She did not want anything to blow over. But, she knew it needed to be done. Besides, this was a conversation that was beginning to grow long overdue.