Divine Inspiration

May 20th 2019

"I wrote something." I hear an excited british accent say behind me, "Well, not fully. It's in the beginning stages, still. But, it's something!"

"Good for you!" I say as I wipe down some coffee mugs, "What did the trick?" I almost ask why he came all the way to my place of work at 9 am to tell me this, but I refrain.

"Your secret spot. I'm telling you, that place is magic." He answers.

"I'm gonna take that as a thank you," I say sarcastically, "And, your welcome."

"Please tell me your 'secret spot' isn't an innuendo for anything." I hear Sam say from down the bar.

"I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you." I say back.

"I'm gonna work on it later with Adam." He says, "You should come by the studio later and see if it's any good."

My curiosity is instantly peaked. It makes me wonder what happened in the last four days that suddenly sparked his interest enough to write about. But, unfortunately, the reality of being a working adult brings me back to earth.

"I can't. My day is all booked. I've got lessons until 6 and then I'm right back to work."

"Screw the kids. They can learn piano by themselves." He jokes, which makes me laugh, "I'm joking. But, really, I do want you to hear it."

"How's tomorrow? It'll give you some time to really work on it before I absolutely tear it to shreds."

"Sounds perfect. And, please, by all means tell me how bad it is."

"Don't say I didn't warn you." He laughs and we both fall silent. I don't know why we keep finding ourselves in moments like this. It's never awkward, this silence. It's just...nice, I guess.

"Well, I'm off. I'll see you tomorrow though." He says.

"Can I get you anything before you leave?" I ask.

"Nope, I'm good." He says, which again makes me wonder why he went out of his way to come here and isn't even ordering anything.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"What changed? Like, a couple days ago, you were completely stumped. What inspired you?"

He takes in a breath before he says, "Let's just call it divine intervention."

"The canyon?"

"Yeah, the canyon, or," He says and then winks, "someone else." Then, he's swiftly out the door.

I forgot how to breathe for a second. I'm not 100% sure if that actually happened or I just imagined it. There was something in his eye, I think, that had to be it.

"Uh, okay, what was that?" Sam says. I didn't realize until now that he'd completely stopped making drinks and was listening in on our conversation like it was a TV show.

"What was what?" I say and busy myself again with wiping down mugs.

"That! " He says, pointing at the door, "Don't play dumb, that fine piece of walking sex just winked at you! Do you know how many girls and gays would literally kill a man to have that happen to them? Myself, included!"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Damn, when Tommy said you guys were flirting nonstop, I thought she was exaggerating." He says with a laugh.

"Um, 'you guys'? I didn't do anything! Maybe, maybe he was flirting with me, but I didn't reciprocate it at all."

"Oh, please. You knew exactly what you were doing asking 'Oooh, what inspired you, Harry, hmm?'" He says, imitating me.