"O-okay," you mumbled. "T-thank you." You spoke again, still unsure of what you should say to him. You did find him attractive, but you couldn't let yourself go into something again.

"Can I come closer?" At the moment, you and Rodrick were on opposite sides of your bed, meaning you were at least six feet apart (that aged well didn't it). You nodded, still a bit uneasy. Rodrick came closer to you, now about a foot away from you. "Is this okay?" You nodded again, looking down. "Are you okay?" You wanted to say yes; tell him that everything was okay. Even though you knew if wasn't. You didn't want to build a friendship on lies, so you decided to express your true thoughts.

"No, not really," You said quietly, hoping Rodrick wouldn't hear. You felt him come closer to you, and he wrapped his arms around your shoulders. You tensed up at the feeling, not liking the contact. Rodrick noticed and pulled his arms away. Suddenly you missed the feeling. "Uh, um, y-you can keep them there," you said softly, hoping that Rodrick wouldn't hear.

"What was that?" Rodrick inched closer to you with a smile on his face. "Did you say what I thought you said?" He got closer to you with each word he spoke.

You felt the blush creep onto your cheeks at his words, feeling a bit better. "Maybe," you said quietly with a smile on your face.

"Well, if you don't mind I'd like to keep my arms there. You work as a pretty good arm rest, y/n." The comment would usually make you feel uneasy or violated, but this time you could see that it was innocent. You could see that Rodrick's intentions were not like his. Rodrick put his arms around you once more, causing you to tense up, but you soon relaxed in his arms. You inhaled his scent, taking in the aroma of cologne and cardboard. Odd, but somehow comforting.

"Y'know you can always talk to me right? I get it like we just met or whatever but if you want someone to talk to I'll be next door," Rodrick said as he was holding you in his arms. No one had ever said anything like that to you before. You were stunned at the gesture, not knowing how to respond. Your cheeks turned an even darker shade of red, causing Rodrick to laugh.

"Thank you," you said with a smile. The moment was sweet, something you had never felt before.

"Guys," you heard your mom yell up the stairs. "It's time for dinner please come down!" Rodrick let go of you and stood up.

"Let's go, yeah?" Rodrick grabbed your hand and brought you up to your feet. You took the lead and showed Rodrick where to go.

----

"So, what were you two up to while you were upstairs?" Susan had finished her conversation about her news column and wanted to get to know more about you. You turned to Rodrick only to see his face bright red.

"Uh, we just chilled, y'know?" Rodrick said trying not to choke on the food in his mouth.

"Yeah, we just hung out a bit," you said a bit quietly, still not knowing how to act around new people.

"Sounds nice," your mom said with a forced smile on her face. Something told you that she knew you had gotten close with Rodrick. Since the situation with him, your mom had always been quite skeptical over boys you met. She could sense that Rodrick took interest in you, and she knew that that was not going to pass with her.

"Yeah," you trailed off. The table got quiet. The silence was deafening and it had yet to be broken.

"Rodrick." Frank had cleared his throat, trying to break the awkward silence. "Why don't you tell y/n and her mom about your band?" Rodrick's face immediately lit up, and you could see the excitement in his eyes.