Chapter 1

Artemis Davis gazed at the man that was sitting across from her in the vehicle. His grip was loose as he balanced the steering wheel in his hands. His baby blue eyes were trained on the road ahead of him, never looking away. It was a habit he had picked up with Artemis being such a nervous passenger. She watched as he removed his hand off the steering wheel for a mere second to tuck his curly long hair behind his ear.

She found it hard to believe that she had found love with someone so perfect. Luke was her oxygen and she often found herself lying awake at night questioning what she had done to deserve him, fearing that one day she would lose the man she adored. She had grown with him, as he had with her, and they relied upon each other now that their paths had twisted to become one. They were one, she was sure of that.

"So, where are we going?" Artemis asked. It wasn't often that the couple left Los Angeles for reasons other than work.

"I told you," Luke said, deep dimples forming in his cheeks as he grinned, "it's a surprise."

Artemis sighed impatiently, biting down on her bottom lip as she stared out the window at the trees that seemed to fly by. There weren't many of those in LA - it was the city of plastic, whether it be the city streets themselves or the people that walked upon them.

"We're nearly there." Luke laughed. "Give it another hour or so."

"We've been in the car for three hours already!" Artemis protested.

"I know. That's why an hour isn't long." He placed his left hand on her thigh, rubbing several small comforting circles into the skin before allowing it to rest there. Artemis placed her own hand on top, weaving her soft hand between his own guitar-calloused fingers. "Trust me, it will be worth it," Luke added. Artemis didn't hear Luke mumble, "I hope," nervously under his breath.

The gravel crunched under the wheels as the car came to a stop. Artemis lifted her head slowly, rubbing at her eyes. She'd fallen asleep with forty-five minutes to go.

"We're here," Luke announced as he twisted the keys, allowing the engine to succumb to a peaceful slumber.

"Luke, I don't understand," Artemis said as she stared out at the trees before her. "Have you brought me out here to kill me? I didn't plan for that."

Luke laughed and Artemis basked in the sound. "Turn around, dumbass."

Artemis turned and through the window in the back of the car she could see a small wooden cabin. She gasped, and Luke admired the way her eyes crinkled as she smiled. He didn't deserve her, he knew that.

The blue-haired girl pushed open the car door and quickly jumped out before running to the front of the log cabin. She admired the front of the small building - it had a door, two big windows and a small patio which was occupied by a couple of seats adorned with throws and cushions. It was perfect and Artemis loved it.

A pair of arms wrapped themselves around her waist and Artemis leat back into the comfort of the tall man's embrace, a content sigh escaping her lips.

"You rented a log cabin? I love it," she spoke quickly, feeling Luke place his chin on the crown of her head. "How long are we here for?"

Luke chuckled. "As long as we want, darling."

Artemis frowned, moving her head to look up at the blonde man. "Huh? But when does the rent run out?"

"That's the thing," Luke laughed, almost taking pride in the fact that he knew something she didn't, "it's ours."

"You bought it?" Artemis exclaimed, unable to extinguish the excitement that was distinct in her voice.