The Life Force

In yoga, it is accepted that breath is the vehicle for prana. The yogis found that the inspiration is one of only a handful, not many automatic procedures in the body that can likewise be controlled by will. Pranayama, therefore, refers to the conscious control of the breath, intending to affect the life force. The lifeforce is within you; however, how much is dependent on the condition of the environment.

Inward breath and exhalation are the components used to attract oxygen to the lungs and oust the waste result of carbon dioxide, in this manner, making more space for oxygen.

Diaphragmatic breathing enables more oxygen to enter the body because it reaches the lowest part of the lungs, where most of the blood vessels for absorbing the oxygen and transmitting it throughout the body are located. The problem is that when we are stressed, we breathe primarily into the upper chest, limiting oxygen, and minimizing the opportunity to metabolize food and prana. Prana enters the body through food.

Psychological the breath slows down the emotional response; it enables the frontal lobe of the brain, and in turn, increases the capacity for higher consciousness and reasoning. If we practice relaxed breathing, we can connect more naturally to our higher self, our source of wisdom. The mind is a representation of the prana within. Through conscious awareness of the breath, we can transform our physical, mental, and spiritual self.