Chapter 3

Eleven year old Primrose Potter awoke from her deep sleep to a tapping on her window. She sat up and stretched before running her hand through her long fiery red hair that never seemed to get tangled. She stood up and her sleeping pants rolled down her legs after being rolled up as she slept.

She walked across her wooden bedroom floor, which was warm thanks to central heating, to her large window. She pushed open the curtains and found an owl on the perch she had built for when she bought her own. She pulled open her windows, which opened towards her, and the owl jumped onto her outstretched hand. Primrose took the letter that was in his beak and set it down on her nightstand, all while being mindful of the owl perched on her hand. She scratched the owl under his chin and gave him a treat. The owl nuzzled and pecked her cheek in appreciation before taking off.

Primrose smiled and closed her window, but kept the curtains open to let in natural light. She picked up the letter and turned it over. She saw the wax stamp on the front and smiled knowingly. She set the letter back on her night stand and turned to her unmade bed. She pulled up her covers and fixed it up to her standards. It was a habit she had developed from the orphanage. Always make your bed and keep your area clean. It wasn't that strict but it was mostly to keep clutter away and make infestations less likely.

After Primrose had finished making her bed she pulled her long red hair up into a messy bun. She then tucked the front of her big white t-shirt into the front of her green pajama pants. She put on her house slippers and grabbed the letter before leaving her room. She closed the big oak door that was beautifully designed with dark iron swirls and carvings in the wood. Primrose walked down the long hallway towards the stairs and to the dining room.

Once Primrose got to the dining room, a house elf placed her breakfast at the head of the table. She sat down and placed the letter next to her morning meal and began to eat. It was a simple breakfast, just toast with jam, eggs, bacon, and a veggie omelet with a mug of coffee. Primrose had a coffee in the morning or when she truly needed it otherwise she drank tea.

"Zipzy?" Primrose called out to her personal house elf. There was a popping sound and a "Yes, Mistress?" to follow. "Could you tell Tom that my letter has arrived?" She asked politely, smiling at the elf. Primrose rarely made demands to her house elf. They had been friends since day one of her being at the manor. If Primrose truly needed something urgently done, she only got firm. For now her voice was as soft as a bell in the wind on an early spring morning. "Yes, mistress. Of course." Zipzy said with a smile.

There was another popping sound that signaled her departure and Primrose went back to her meal. A few quiet moments later and then Tom walked through the door with a giant smile on his face. "Your letter, your Hogwarts letter has finally arrived! I am so excited!" Tom said cheerily, as if he was the one attending the school. Primrose let out a laugh, her laugh rang through the air and seemed to make Toms smile even bigger. "It seems like you're more excited than I am. And I'm the one going." She said through giggles.

Another house elf popped in and set Tom's plate of breakfast to Primrose's right instead of across from her per usual. Tom, with a skip in his step, sat right in the chair and went for the letter. Unfortunately for him, Primrose had amazing reflexes and swiped the letter just as Tom's pointer finger grazed the top.

"Nope, I shall be the one to open it, Tommy." Primrose said playfully, using the nickname for the person who raised her. She didn't see Tom as a father figure, more like an older brother. That was how they treated each other. Primrose was the little sister Tom never knew he wanted until he had her.

Tom pouted and began to eat his meal in faulty sadness. "Oh, don't you start pouting." Primrose jokingly scolded. Primrose took her unused butter knife and sliced open the letter. She gently laid the knife down next to her fork and pulled out the letters. There were two, one for the formal invitation, and the other with the list of supplies a first year student would need.