Ending

DECEMBER 28, 11:03 AM
DISTRICT COURTHOUSE
DEFENDANT LOBBY #7

I made my way to the Defendant Lobby where I last saw Rachael when Misty was channeling her. I wanted to check and make sure Misty was alright. Checking in, I saw her asleep on the couch, probably exhausted from channeling Rachael. I noticed Mia on the floor playing with her little sister Maya, who was normally being carried on her back, but now was sitting on the floor. The girls were playing with a blue ball, rolling it back and forth.

"Hello, Mr. Edgeworth. Sorry I couldn't watch the rest of the trial. I was worried for Mom and Maya was getting restless," Mia greeted.

"That's alright. I should thank you for your help, Mia. You and your mother helped me a lot during my trial. If not for the both of you, I'm not sure I'd have the strength to fight for my innocence. I'm certain Anna would've eventually testified and tried to take me down any way she could," I replied as Mia began looking bashful, then Maya began crawling, while reaching out to Miles, who was still in my arms.

"Not now, Maya~" Miles whined, holding onto me tightly. Mia was giggling.

"You must love your father a lot," Mia grinned as Miles began to flush slightly from that comment. I couldn't keep a smile off my face. Miles was being adorable. It filled me with joy to know I can watch this adorable little boy grow up to be a handsome young man. It was a dream I never believed could be a reality.

"What's wrong, Father?" Miles asked, looking up at me.

"Nothing," I replied, chuckling and petting Miles' hair playfully.

"I never got the chance to congratulate you on your victory. Congratulations," Manfred responded, who walked in through the door.

"I couldn't have done it alone. Thank you for taking Blaise's Case and... for saving my son. I owe you a great deal, Manfred," I said.

"... the one who should be saying that is me. I had almost killed you that day and yet you and Miles were willing to put your lives and reputation on the line for my sake. More than that, you both reminded me of what was more important in my life. I'll forever be in your debt."

"But Mr. Von Karma, you saved Father and freed him from the Debeste's. You saved me too. You were willing to pretend to be my father, so Debeste wouldn't hurt me. Even if you did intend to kill my father, I don't think you would have. You still withdrew in the end," Miles stated. (1)

"Miles, I withdrew, because of you," Manfred said as Miles' eyes widened in surprise.

"M-Me?"

"Yes, you. When I approached the elevator, I was in the heat of the moment and ready to kill your father. Two things had happened that made me stop. One of those things was you calling to me, while I had the gun pointed to your father. There was another."

"Another? What is it?" Miles asked. I think I know what Manfred is talking about.

Manfred dug into his pocket, then retrieved the bullet. It was the stray bullet Miles had shot by accident when he threw the gun. Miles stared at it, eyes widened. He slowly looked up at Manfred with confused and fearful eyes, as if questioning the possibility. It was a memory that had been blocked subconsciously from Miles' mind. (2)

"Do you remember?" Manfred asked.

"I... I shot you, didn't I? I... I'm sorr-"

"Don't be sorry. You were protecting your father from a killer. It was also this bullet that proved another possibility, a fourth person that had been at the scene of the crime. Both this bullet and the bullet that killed Yanni Yogi were tested and proved to not match. With a single bullet, you shot the killer and forever changed him," Manfred said, placing the bullet in Miles' hand. "There is a saying: evidence means everything. This is evidence of the very event that will forever bound me to you and your father. Thank you." (3)