"Uh, hello...?" Sophie said nervously, because this lady looked like she could rip Sophie's throat out if she wanted to.

The woman looked her over before smiling. "So you're the 'Foster' Keefe's been talking about since the first week of school?"

Sophie bit her lip and nodded before she asked, "Can I see Keefe?"

The woman nodded, moving out of the way and leading Sophie through the house. The foyer was furnished with a few mirrors and a desk. At the end of the room was a large door and there was a staircase off to the left of the room.

The lady led her through the large doors which sat in front of a large living-room. "I'm Ro—by the way," The lady told her, motioning for Sophie to sit on the plushy couch. "I'll go get Keefe now,"

Sophie sat down as she watched Ro walking back through the foyer and up the stairs. For some reason, Sophie didn't feel right in this house. It was kind of...spooky.

But the scariest part was in front of her. Over the mantle of the fireplace was a great portrait of a man. He looked familiar, but Sophie could place his features.

That was, until she heard a recognizable voice. "Hey Foster!" Sophie whipped around and finally saw the similarity.

That man must've been Keefe's father. He had the same broad shoulders, icy-blue eyes- and blond hair. Keefe was just a lot more rugged and carefree. Sophie wondered how Keefe was related to someone who always kept their hair combed.

"Admiring the view?" Keefe asked motioning to the picture. "I know, it's not much to look at, but this part is!" He pointed to the signature at the bottom-right corner.

Sophie peered at it for a second before her eyes became wide. "You painted that?"

"Shocking, isn't it," Keefe said with a laugh. "My dad hates that I can draw because he thinks it's boring. But one day he randomly came up to me and said, 'I think you should put your talents to use and draw me a portrait—I'll even throw in a chance to get you twenty new sketchbooks'—and I mean, who can say no to that?"

Sophie laughed at Keefe impression of his father before saying, "Where are your parents?"

"Well," He said. "My mom's in Florida right now, and my dad is upstairs in his office—oh, and then there's Ro."

Sophie nodded, not really wanting to know too much about the purple-tipped lady.

"So...why'd you come over?" Keefe asked, sitting down beside Sophie. "—Not that I mind, but I feel like there's a reason."

Sophie shrugged. "I wanted someone to talk to,"

Keefe raised an eyebrow at her. "Wouldn't you rather talk to Fitz?"

Sophie smiled, shaking her head. "You and Fitz are two totally different people. Right now I feel like talking to you,"

Keefe nodded. "Well," He said after a second. "There really isn't a lot to do around here. In my free time I usually draw, sleep, eat, or prank Ro—do any of those sound appealing?"

"Well, food sounds pretty good, but I just ate," Sophie told him.

Keefe grinned. "Great, because I haven't eaten anything! Plus, I can't cook. So maybe you could help me...?"

Sophie laughed. "I'll try, but I don't think I can cook very well either."

"Perfect!" Keefe said holding out his hand and leading Sophie to a pristine and shiny kitchen. "We'll make a giant mess and make my dad clean it up!"

§§§

After four hours of trying to cook scrambled eggs and toast, they ended up with just eating some Chips-Ahoy Cookies.

"This is what I call a mess," Keefe said as he took a bite out of his cookie.

Sophie looked over at the destruction. All the pans for the eggs looked black, the room was smoky, and the floor had burnt food scattered all over it.

"Yep," Sophie said. "Definitely a mess,"

After sitting there for about five minutes, Ro came in with a Burger King bag and some drinks in her hand. "Oh," She said, looking at them. "I figured you two would end up burning down the house and still not end up with anything to eat so I brought you some food. But if cookies can sustain you then—"

"No!" Sophie and Keefe said, running toward the bag of food. "We want FOOD!"

Ro threw the bag at them like they were animals. Sophie and Keefe ripped through the bag and they both got a Whopper and a fry.

"Okay..." Ro said after they'd finished. "I'm going to go—if you need me, I'll be upstairs." Then she left the kitchen.

"I think she thinks we're starving animals," Sophie said with a laughed as she popped a fry into her mouth.

Keefe shrugged. "Eh, she thinks I'm like that anyway,"

Sophie started to laugh, but she had no idea why or how to stop.

"Are you alright?" Keefe asked, staring at her with a smile.

"I don't know," Sophie rasped, clutching her stomach.

Sophie tried to take deep breaths at a time, trying to control her laughs. Finally—after another minute—she stopped laughing and she figured she officially had abs of steal from all the laughs.

"Finally," Keefe said when she'd finished. "I thought you'd never stop. I was about to call 911."

Sophie smiled. "I don't know what happened—though I don't think I'll be able to laugh for another 24 hours."

"Probably," Keefe said. Then he pulled out his phone from his back pocket and started to scroll. "Um," He said after a second, looking really confused. "Your mom's name is Edaline, right?"

Sophie nodded, tilting her head. "Why?"

"She just texted me and said you needed to come home because it's 2:26." Keefe told her. "You know, I'd like to know how she got my number."

Sophie lept from her spot on the floor, grabbing her drink and starting to run out of the house. "I don't know Keefe! Sorry, but I need to go to the store with Edaline! Bye!"