37. thanks

(Thursday Nov. 29)

"Corns almost done."

I said peaking my head around the corner to the living room. Chris was sat on the floor playing with the twins.

"Okay babe."

I looked back into the kitchen for a second before walking to him and standing beside the couch.

"Did you set a timer for the rest of the sides?"

I asked, leaning against the arm rest.

"Yep."

He said pointing to his phone behind him on the couch. We had decided to do our own vegetarian Thanksgiving with just us this year. He had told his family we were going to my mother's and that wasn't happening. I did invite my father over to meet Chris and the twins but he just told me he would think about it so I didn't have high hopes. Hes always been like that, not knowing where he'd be on any particular day. He traveled for work so he never made any promises. It was like that growing up. He took me on business trips with him during school breaks after him and my mom got divorced. It was kind of nice though, I've been all over the country with him.

"It's starting to smell good."

I mentioned as he stood up, looking up at him. He smiled and nodded before leaning down and kissing my cheek.

"Not nearly as good as you."

I blushed, laughing at his words.

"What? Is that funny?"

He joked. I nodded, looking up at him still. Then he grabbed my waist, making me yelp. He began tickling me relentlessly.

"Is that funny?"

He said in a kid voice as he continued his attack on my sides. I tried to wiggle away from him and stand up but as soon as I did he picked me and slung me over his shoulder, tickling my legs. I kicked and screamed, laughing along with him as well as the kids now.

"Chris put me down!"

I yelled as he spun around the living room with me, the kids giggling at the shenanigans happening. I held onto his torso for dear life. He dropped me down onto the couch with a thud before climbing up over me. He smiled widely at me as he laid on my chest, him rising and falling with it as I caught my breath.

"I love you."

He said happily. I shook my head at him.

"I love you too you big dork."

He kissed my cheek again and then one of his phone alarms went off, taking both of our attention.

"Potatoes are done."

He said, raising his brows and getting off of me. I sat up and watched him walk into the kitchen, shaking my head. The twins just kept giggling and playing with each other on the floor. I looked over the floor for a second before noticing Romans empty bottle.

"Looks like someone is out of milk."

I picked it up and went to stand when there was a knock at the door. I drew my brows and looked to Chris as he poked his head out of the kitchen.

"Is that?"

He asked making me shrug.

"I guess we'll find out."

I said walking around the couch to the door. When I opened it I smiled, being met with my father holding a large bouquet of multicolored flowers.

"Happy Thanksgiving baby girl."

He said, offering his arms to me. I gladly hugged him.

"Hi dad."

I said as he squeezed me.

"Sir."

I heard from behind me, prompting me to let him go. He handed me the flowers before ignoring Chris's outstretched hand and hugging him instead.

"No need for formalities mah boy, you're part of the family now."

Chris laughed a little bit as he hugged him back.

"Yes sir."

He said, looking at me with a soft smile on his face. When my dad pulled away he patted his back.

"You can call me Reign, or grandpa evidently."

He said laughing to himself as he noticed the twins sitting on the ground in front of the couch.

"Is that them?"

He asked turning to me. I nodded.

"Yep, Roman and harpy."

He awed as he looked back at them.

"May I?"

He asked, melting at the sight of them.

"Of course dad."

I said, watching him walk to them slowly. I patted Chris's shoulder.

"Romans out of milk can you handle this for a minute?"

He nodded and walked over to sit on the couch as my dad knelt down on the floor.

"Hi."

He said gently, cooing at them. I smiled to myself as I walked back Into the kitchen. I had a good feeling today would go better than expected.