Chapter 28

chapter notes: enjoy :)))

Once Meghan had left, Dan's mum brought him a plate of bland hospital food to try and eat. It hurt his stomach and throat a lot. Her attitude was in no way gentle or forgiving, either, she wanted him to finish it—but god was it difficult.

Since Dan wasn't in the pediatric section of the hospital, there wasn't much for him to do, like coloring books or puzzles or card games. He managed to get the TV to work, though, flipping through channels mindlessly until he fell asleep. He was really, really tired, but he pretended to be especially tired in front of his parents so that they would leave him alone. That was his best option to avoid listening to their bullshit.

The next day he woke up and was lectured by both of his parents on what he was required to do when they took him home.

"Mum...I'm tired," Dan told her, not faking it this time. It genuinely was early and had only been twenty four hours since they had initially showed up to his apartment, and even less than that since he'd had the tube in his throat as well. "Does all of the university stuff matter right now?"

"We know if we let you go about on your own, you would continue to be a mindless sleaze. So yes, it does, Daniel."

Dan turned his head to face her, his cheek pressed against the pillow under his head. "I'm in the hospital. You know why, too, but all you care about is university. You don't care about how I'm going to get through the next few days...you don't care. And you wonder why I don't listen to you or do what you say."

His mum made a face and was about to speak when doctors came in again, shutting her up. He watched his father as he furrowed his eyebrows, which gave him an idea.

"How are you feeling? Saw on your chart you were able to eat a bit last night," the main doctor asked. Dan shrugged and glared at his mum.

The main doctor informed the room about what he wanted Dan to 'accomplish' for the day, which Dan tried to listen to—but with the lights turned on bright again, his mum bitching, and the loud voices—a headache was growing right in his temples.

When the doctor asked if his parents understood, he was cut off and asked if there was any way he could be discharged earlier. The doctor explained once again that that was not possible, forcing his patience quite well.

His father got ticked off soon enough, trying to argue with the doctor about it as Dan rolled his eyes. They asked about quick medicine he could take to fix it, then changed their mind and didn't want him on any medication, it was confusing to listen to.

Dan understood that what they wanted was for him to be 'normal'—meaning not depressed and anxious. Both his parents referred to the whole situation as 'a mess' and explained how they didn't want Dan in it ever again, and it was just adding fire onto fire. It was honestly impressive how well the doctor was keeping his shit together.

But Dan was about to test that. Not to be against the poor doctor, but to get his parents out of the fucking way.

"Mum, stop bitching already," he complained, "And Dad, quit arguing. The doctor knows more than you and he's answered the same question you've asked him a million times for Christ's sake. I can't go home early."

The only reason he felt he was able to stand up to his parents was because they were in the hospital, meaning his dad couldn't get away with anything he claimed to do over the phone. And he was already technically grounded by being stuck there.

Dan crossed his arms and stayed silent as his father got onto him for it.

"You both claim that I'm the most immature one, but you're trying to argue with a doctor. About what's wrong with me and what's not. Kind of funny, actually."