[32]

The air was full of tension. The blood was boiling, and her breath was heavier and heavier. Her senses were trying to warn her; there was a distortion interfering with the harmony of the magical flows.
She knew well those sensations; she was able to recognize easily areas corrupted by darkness by then. She felt its closeness; their objective was finally near.
She had endured walks under the rain, perpetual companion in the new season, and sea crossing. Nothing would have ever stopped her from reaching the place that the witch had sown her.
On their trail, she and Ahri had tried to come up with a strategy but had obtained only meagre conclusions. Neither her companion had a precise idea of the place they had to free. Some sea Vastaya had helped them, not only in crossing the strait but also telling them about a holy site in that valley, hidden behind a waterfall.
So they had considered the place would be enclosed and probably dark. It was not a favourable situation if they would have met some enemies; the obscurity around them would have been useful to them.
They could only wait for the lair to be empty, and Ahri would be the first to go to scout the area. She was the strongest between them, and it was easier for her to escape before she could cover her.
A maple leaf fell slowly from a tree. She followed it with her eyes before she turned to the almost dry lake in front of them. The fishes were desperately trying to swim and survive, compacted in that small pool. The big water plants were bent and rotten, deprived of their nourishment.
The reason for such spoilage was noticeable. The waterfall that caved the cliff was not there. The dark energy might drain it.
A narrow canyon was exposed. On it, some stairs were roughly craved. They served only for ease the climb.
It was the path to the holy site, the last stretch of road.
« It is better if I go to check. If we have to move, it is better on the daylight. Or at least I hope so. »
Ahri was scared, and it was apparent; she also had no idea about the skills of their enemies. She knew who they were, what they believed, but did not know the secrets of their powers. She was going to take a leap in the dark and only for helping a stranger she had found half-dead in the forest. She bit her lips, nervous. She felt guilty. She dragged with her on a dangerous mission someone she knew little. And she also had a double life-debt with her. She had to impose herself and let Ahri spent the rest of her life safe. That would be a sign of gratitude, not take her with her.
Her company lulled her too much; she had not seen the real risks until then.
That was her battle, and the destiny of her tribe was at stake. Ahri was only a stranger and joined her for pity. Those were not issues that concerned her.
« You can still leave. I do not force you to follow me, » she said, freeing herself from the weight she was carrying.
Ahri looked at her surprised before she sighed.
« I will be back soon, do not move. »
She could not even open her mouth; she was already over the banks of the small lake, sprinting inside the canyon.
She punched the tree behind which she was hiding. She was not able to stop her or to reason with her. She understood Ahri wanted some company too and cared about her safety, but she was risking too much.
She could even not convinced herself that the Vastaya was trying to save Ionia; she had never said that and did not seem too interested in the wild magic. She mastered it well, and it flew inside her more than into another Vastaya she had ever known. And it was also the one who took it less into account.
Ahri was stubborn and wanted to protect her. And she feared that her stubbornness could cost her life.
She would have never forgiven herself if something happened to her. But she was powerless even in front of that drivel. Ahri had everything to oppose: strength, adulthood and a life debt she had to pay back.
The Vastaya get out from the canyon. She sighed relieved; the woman had kept her promise and did not leave her on the ropes for too long.
She approached Ahri and read a strange expression on her face as if she was not able to judge the situation inside the cave.
« So? » she asked.
« We could do it, but we have to think well about how we should move. »
« What do you mean? »
She felt stupid. She wanted to defeat an Order that controlled darkness but was not able to convince someone to renounce a foolish mission. She was forced to accept her help; alone, she would not go too far.
« The cave is not totally dark. There is a hole on the top that let some light inside. But two adepts are guarding the place. »
The situation was in their favour, maybe too much.
She could not believe that her first mission was so easy.
« Only two? » she asked to be sure.
« Yes, but I have no idea of what they can do. »
« How much big is the cave? »
« Enough, both us and they can move easily. »
That could be a disadvantage. They had to move quickly without creating chances for a counter-attack.
« We have to eliminate them at once, one for me and one for you,» she said.
« So do you want to try it? » Ahri asked.
She nodded. She was already sure when she said the adepts were two. If they had waited, they would have gone away, or others would have come.
And she did not want to waste other time.
« All right... but I go first, you stay on the back. »