𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. new reality

Magsimula sa umpisa

     Her words weren't a question, rather a statement.

     I furrowed my brows, taking a tentative step towards her.

     "Remember... what?"

     Speaking felt new, like I'd never done it before, yet my voice was anything but dry and scratchy.

     "You don't remember me?" she pressed on, her small hand still gripping the doorknob.

     I glanced over her once again, racking my brain for a name. As I did, I realized I didn't remember much of... well, anything really.

     "...I-I can't say I do," I admitted, shyly looking down.

     The girl seemed at a loss for words. A silence fell over us, and I started to wonder if I should leave. If she'd let me leave.

     "I'm sorry, but where are we?" I finally asked, moving closer to her. Despite not knowing her or where I was, I didn't feel threatened.

     "You're safe," she began, her hands coming up as if she was calming an agitated animal, "we're in my home. Y-You've been here before."

     For some reason, I believed her.

     "Why don't I remember?" I muttered to myself.

     "I'm... Alice. Alice Cullen."

     Alice. It didn't ring any bells.

     I timidly walked around the room, sticking close to the windows. I took everything in at my own pace. Another question began to plague my mind, one that seemed to prove Alice's suspicions.

     "Why can't I remember my own name, Alice?"

     My eyes lingered on the moon. When she didn't respond, I turned to her.

      "Who am I?"

      She pursed her lips and glanced behind her. Was there someone else here?

     "You're Evelyn Crawford. I-" she cut herself off, clearly unnerved by our conversation. I could tell she didn't know what to say.

     "I know this must be a lot," she sighed, "but I promise that you're safe. Everyone here, we're here for you. We know you, and you... you knew us."

     I nodded.

     "You said we. Who is we?"

     Alice took a step to the side, pulling the door further open as she did.

     "They're all waiting in the living room, uh, straight out and to the left."

     Without another word, I felt myself glide past her and out the door. I felt so lightweight, not at all sore from laying on the hard table. Looking over my shoulder, I noticed Alice following me from a distance. She offered me a small smile as our eyes met.

     "I'm here, it's okay,"

     Her gentle voice and reassuring words put me at ease as I continued down the hallway. I could see light emerging from a room on the left, and I gripped my fists. Rounding the corner, I stood at the entrance to the living room. Eventually, Alice was standing at my side.