The Spice of Life

Start from the beginning

"Oh, right. Tommy's my girlfriend. She's not a music person but she hangs around here a lot, especially when I'm here."

"What about Annie?" I ask.

"She's my sister. We both grew up here, but she's a big help on the music side of things so she's here a lot when I'm working on something new."

Almost on cue, the door opens and two girls appear. One of them, I'm assuming Tommy, heads straight for Adam and plants a kiss on his cheek. And the other floats near the doorway waiting for an introduction. Annie. 

You know the feeling when you see someone and time stops? Not even because they're attractive. I mean she is, she really is, but it's almost like some part of you knows that person is important. Like some part of you knows that meeting them sets off a butterfly effect of events that will completely change the course of your life. That's how I felt looking at her. And it can't just be me feeling that way.

{ANNIE}

I'm not gonna say I'm disappointed. But, I was expecting someone just...cooler. Okay, he's cool, it's Harry Styles, but the way Adam sounded on the phone, I thought it was gonna be someone huge. Not to say that he's not popular, but an ex boyband member is not really what I had in mind. I do like his music, his last album was really good. I've just never understood cult followings of these kinds of guys.

I glance over at Adam and he seems excited. And I'm a good sister, so I'll be excited for him.

"Harry, this is Tommy, my girlfriend." Adam says, indicating the girl on is arm that looked like she was about ready to pass out. I almost forgot about the One Direction phase Tommy went through in high school. She's probably more stoked that he was here than Adam is.

"And this is Annie." Adam says. Harry's eyes lock with mine. I'll admit, he's attractive. I think I finally understand why girls like Tommy drool over him. 

I reach my hand out to shake his, "Hi, you must be Harry."

"Hi." He says with a smirk, "I hear you helping us on the album."

"I guess so." I say as I shoot a glance at Adam. This is probably something Adam committed me to before asking me. He tends to do that a lot. I'd say something about it if I didn't enjoy helping Adam with this kind of thing. I don't get to let loose my creative side much anymore, so working on new music is never something I'd turn down.

"Annie's always a huge help," Adam says to Harry, "She's practically a music encyclopedia. And she plays, like, 10 instruments."

"Really?" Harry says. He seems impressed, "Which ones?"

"It's 9, actually. Guitar, piano, bass, drums, harmonica, cello, violin, ukulele, and the harp." I've never enjoyed talking about myself, but who doesn't enjoy a humble brag from time to time?

"Impressive." Harry says and smirks again. Is he flirting with me? No, he's not, that's stupid. I sneak a glance at Tommy and I can tell she's thinking the same thing. 

"Well, I'm no "I can play a billion instruments", but if you need someone on the triangle." Tommy says to try to break the ice. I silently thank her for taking the attention off of me. We balance each other out in that way. She could talk about herself for hours and I can't stand it.

"Alrighty, no time like the present to get started." Adam says. He wears his excitement with stubborn pride.

"Sure, one problem, though. I still haven't got a thing written." Harry confesses. 

"No problem, dude. We can throw down some ideas and record later."

"Annie, wanna go grab some food? We can bring back something for you guys." Tommy asks. She's clearly made up her mind since she's already practically pulling me out the front door.

"Uh, sure. We'll be back in a few." I say on my way out. Harry's eyes follow me out the door.

As soon as it's shut, Tommy squeals, "Dude you're totally gonna hook up with him this summer!"

I laugh, "Okay, WHAT?"

"Did you see the way he was looking at you? Those were bedroom eyes if I've ever seen 'em." She says as we climb in my car. 

"Okay, you've officially lost your damn mind."

"Is it so impossible? Adam told me he's here until August, so you've got plenty of time. Plus, he's famous so no strings attached."

"I thought you wanted me to have a boyfriend." I say as I put on my sunglasses.

"SCREW boyfriend. You need to get laid!

"Tommy!"I say as I hit her on the arm.

"I'm just saying! Ann, it's been a year since Noah. It's about time you move on, especially when you've got this hot piece of ass right in front of you!" Tommy gushes. 

As ridiculous as she sounds, she's right. Not about hooking up with Harry, about moving on. "It's not that I haven't moved on. I'm completely over him.I really am. I just don't really want to date again. I like my life the way it is, I don't need anyone disrupting it." 

Tommy can see right through my bullshit. "That's the stupidest excuse for 'being to scared to date' I've ever heard. Look, I know you're not still hung up on Noah, believe me. But, I also think you're scared that whoever's the next guy is gonna hurt you, but you need to get over that." She sympathizes, "That's also why I think a quick and dirty hookup is your best option right now."

"I'm not hooking up with him. And that's the end of that."

"Well, if I can't someone has to! He can't just be hanging out here, looking like that, for no reason." She laughs, "Maybe Sam can do it. He'd be down. Who knows? Maybe Harry swings both ways."

I laugh with her. Tommy's blunt honesty is both a blessing and a curse. In this situation, she's right, I am scared. My track record with guys is awful. My high school boyfriend, Chase, cheated on me on Prom night, very cliche I know. I even dated Sam for about a week the summer we graduated, but he came out about a month later. I've been through the wringer of awful first dates that I'd rather just completely forget about.  And Noah. 

We've known each other since our sophomore year of high school when he moved here from Colorado, but I never thought of him in that way. We ended up at the same college in the same major, the USC School of Music. Tommy went to Berkeley and Adam was busy working on his career, so he was the only friend I had. We ended up dating 3 weeks into our freshmen year and we were inseparable until a year ago. I haven't even seen him in person since he left. 

I've made my life the way I like it since then. It's quiet and pretty mundane to most people, sure, but I like it how it is, where I live, the people I spend it with. I go to work, I drive with the windows down along the shoreline, I put a vinyl record on when I try new recipes, even if they don't end up tasting right, which they seldom do. Sometimes, I drive up to Oceanside where my parents live to visit them and my dad always has new music recommendations. Tommy and I have days at the beach sometimes when we both have time off work. I love it just the way it is. 

But, do I wish it was a little more exciting at times? I do. 

Maybe hooking up with a celebrity would spice things up a little, I think to myself. I laugh and push the idea out of my head.