four ➳

the breakup wasn't in her agenda. obviously. things like these are never ever planned. the days turned into weeks and for the first weeks, it's absolute hell for the university student. el realizes how dependent she is on him and how much of her time he took up. obviously. he was her best friend and eventual boyfriend. but it was crazy. her closet is only his clothes and her camera roll is pictures of the annoying english major. and when the realization hits her, el's left sobbing in her sheets. she spends most of the days sleeping a little too much and her grades start slipping. 

max finds herself throwing glances every single time that she walks in their room and el is under the sheets. the spunky redhead's worried about her best friend. she notices how she's not even going to their shared classes and she eventually sits her down. el frowns, instantly apologizing and she eventually bursts out in tears again. max eventually comes with the idea that they only sleep when they're both in the room and her sleeping schedule slowly tweaks itself. 

the party was in an uncomfortable shift. the boys watched as mike slumped and lashed at anybody that would second guess him. it was a huge mess between the exes and the others were glad that they haven't crossed paths. the party had agreed to not sharing what the others were doing. because mike did answer his curiosities. he had gone out, gotten way too drunk and he had kissed so many girls that he felt like everybody knew who he was.

and if he was honest, it wasn't anything like it was in the books.

it wasn't anything special and michael couldn't help but compare every single girl with el. 

and it was ironic. 

extremely ironic. 

weeks had turned into two months and el was slowly unwinding herself. neither of them had contacted each other and el didn't even realize that this break was good to her too. she had gone out to places too. she found herself going to nearby coffee shops and studying in other places that weren't the library. it didn't seem like much but she was slowly peering out of her shell. she had hid behind mike all these years, she had been hiding from max all these weeks and now she felt like she was slowly finding herself. 

it was a friday afternoon and the brunette was fixing herself up. she was eyeing her entire body and she was hoping that she looked good. this outfit choice wasn't her ideal type but she felt like she was branching out in styles. she had heard about what mike was doing and if she was absolutely honest, it hurt like hell. but she had to do it too. she had to put herself out there. 

from her long skirts and (his) tied band tees, she had switched to a plaid skirt and a baby pink shirt. at least for tonight. she even bought some white converse to match. el felt ridiculous but the brunette thought that it was a nice try. at least for tonight. 

she had followed will's advice and decided on a blind date. to get out there. 

her best friend opens the door, throwing her backpack on her bed and she's grinning when she sees el. "oh! where are we going?" max had just come back from a study date with lucas and she was expecting everything but this. "you look like a barbie doll."

"is that bad? i can change." el instantly says, her hands about to pull her skirt and max instantly stops her. she's laughing at her friends nerves. 

"no, el. you look good. but where are you going? especially with that short skirt? do you have a hot date?" max asks, jumping on her bed and she's wiggling her eyebrows. the girl rolls her eyes and she's back to fixing her entire look. she even puts a ribbon in her hair. she looks nice. 

"i have a date. well, kinda. i don't think of it as a date. will downloaded an app on my phone and i'm going to meet up with somebody. it's not a date and i really made that clear... but i still want to look pretty, you know? i've been sulking for the last two months." el states. "and i thought that it'd be nice to try a nice style. nothing is going to happen, you sinner." she sticks her tongue out and they're both giggling at her reaction. 

"where are you guys even meeting? what's his name?" max questions and el is patting down her skirt. she's even applies lip gloss. max is studying her close. 

"we're meeting by the coffee shop... and his name... is actually her name." el says, careful with her reaction and max is yelping but it's not bad. she's excited on the other hand. 

"a girl?! el!" 

"you look so cute, if she's ugly... run!" max says and the two of them are giggling like school girls. el reaches out and she's slapping her shoulder. they can't stop laughing and for once, it feels like el.. is actually el. 

after a few minutes of teasing, el was finally on her way to the coffee shop. she's wearing max's denim jacket and she's smiling excitedly. it doesn't take more than twenty minutes for her to walk to the coffee shop and el's opening the door without a second thought. she's looking around the shop and she catches the girl on the farther right. she waves at el and she's smiling. 

the girl makes her way to the stranger and she smiles. "hi, i'm el." 

"i assumed so. my name's maya." she introduces herself and maya is really pretty. she has green eyes and she has blonde hair. they had been chatting for a few days and el was keen on telling her that she had just gotten out of a relationship. that she only wanted friends. and maya said the absolute same. so it worked out perfectly. 

"i like the look, it's different from your profile." maya says as the other sits down and el laughs shyly. "it's cute." 

"thank you. i was trying something new." 

"hold on, your hair--" 

maya reaches out and she's fixing the brunette's hair behind her ear. that makes el blush.

"shut up." 

the date is going absolutely well, at least that's what she thinks. maya is a communications mayor and she can't help but wonder if she likes people that talk. maya has been rambling about books for a good twenty minutes and el likes listening. she really does. she's so involved with maya that she doesn't see mike walking in the coffee shop and catching her right there.