OO6

AUTHOR

you were able to secure employment at the nearby cafe where your brother lived; you liked the place after discovering it, so when you saw that they were seeking new employees, you knew this was the right moment. you accepted the job knowing what kind of person you are, but the pay wasn't that bad too. your ennui was occupied with the task as well. simply cleaning the tables, taking orders, and serving guest was all that was required. this is not how you had imagined living, but you did all you could do for money. at least you weren't spending your time alone and miserable in your pitch-black room anymore.

there were a lot of other fine coffee shops in this residence, but this one appeared to draw students the most, due of its visually beautiful interior design and tranquil environment. every corner of the room had different plants on exhibit, and the walls were painted a beige tint. the ceiling's dazzling lights illuminated the room, casting delicate shadows on a few scatted tables, whilst the aroma of coffee permeated the air. although there was background music, it wasn't too loud to annoy the customers. it was the ideal location for folks to hang out with friends, unwinding, or sort of going out on a date.

"why are you being especially kind today?" you looked back up from your phone to see that he was sporting the most ridiculous smile, and had his hands crossed across his chest. he then raised an eyebrow at you and gave you a dubious look as he asked, "is anything not right?"

"what? no, i'm always this kind." you began. "the cafe has special promotions and we have to invite atleast one person but they're all busy and i need to talk to you too."

when the long-haired man entered the space after you request him to, without any denial, you changed your mind about heading to the break room where you were preparing to go as you took off your apron. in order to avoid having to explain why you had called him in the first place or how to put it into words, you swiped the drink from his hands and took a sip as you lifted your hand to scratch the back of your head in embarrassment. then, you turned to look back to look at him to see what type of response he had, but nothing was there. he took no action to prevent you from sipping his coffee.

"fuck, i can't take one more sip! so, what do you wanted to talk about?"

"so... what do you wanted to talk about?"

"you can't go back to the underground." you bit your lip, sitting across him.

after realizing that you weren't joking in your statement, the smile he had wavered and replaced it with a serious expression. even though you were being completely honest, you were unable to provide him with the details he was looking for. you felt guilty, but couldn't think of anything to say or do, and he maintained the most neutral face conceivable. even if his mother begged him to accept your request, he wouldn't necessarily do so. "why?"

"because... you'll get hurt. right, you'll get hurt."

"aww, are you worried about me?"

"no- i mean, yes but no. can't you just go there? i'm not asking you to if you don't want."

the black-haired male sighed, his stare burning into yours for a minute until he looked away after an awkward staring match. the awkward silence made it impossible for you to even comprehend what this person was thinking, and you were unsure of how to respond or when to start speaking. "you see, i can't. i had to head back, why are you getting all worked up?" baji asked, stealing the drink from your hand so he could take a sip as well. you know how persistent the boy was when he wanted something, there was something else laced with the depth of his voice, a certain softness but seriousness too, a tone that he had never used towards you before.