Chapter 3: What is Love??

James watched Caroline lay in the hospital bed. Pale and broken as ever she didn't try to hide the hurt. Even asleep the pain and agony were visible to anyone who laid eyes on her.

"Mr. Franco a word please." the doctor quietly motioned for him to follow.

James followed the doctor out to the hall "Will she be okay?" he asked

"I'm not to sure. I want to run some tests on her soon." he said looking at the clipboard.

"What happened?" James asked running a hand through his hair

"Stress. She had more then what any young twenty-four year old expecting mother should."

Three days later Caroline was released from the hospital. Flashing lights blinded her as she got into the waiting car with James.

"Are you okay Caroline?" James asked trying to grab her hand but she pulled it away.

"I'm fine." she forced a smile.

When they arrived home, James made her go rest. She refused plenty of times but did it anyways. James cleaned the house, made calls and fixed dinner.

"Alright, what's going on?"  Caroline asked looking at James across the table.

He was silent for a moment "I have to fly to LA for filming. I'll be gone awhile." he answered getting it out of the way.

"Okay." she said slowly picking at the food on her plate.

"Wil you be okay on your own?" he asked gently

Caroline slammed her fork down on the table "I wished everyone stopped fucking asking if I'm okay or will be okay!" she shouted "I lost our baby. Our son growing inside of me!"

"Care, calm down it'll be okay." James said trying to calm her down.

"It won't ever be okay! Because I won't have Liam." Caroline's voice was still raised.

"We can have another baby." James said trying to sooth her

She rolled her blue eyes "I don't want another baby. I wanted Liam."

"He was needed up there. We don't know why but, it'll be okay." he pulled her in for a hug holding her tight as she struggled to get free "Let it out Care." he whispered as she sobbed into his chest clutching his shirt.

"It's not fair!" she sobbed

James rubbed her back gently "I know Care, I know."

Caroline's legs gave out on her as she sank to the floor with James. The whole night they sat on the kitchen floor in silence as James held her.

"James?" Caroline's weak voice asked

"Yes Care?" James asked moving hair from her face

"Who is she?" she asked

He was silent for a moment "Who are you talking about?" he asked

"I'm not stupid I've seen the messages." she said "Who is the girl?"

James sighed "I didn't mean for it to happen."

"You didn't mean for it to happen. So I guess it's okay then." she stood up

"You're not upset?" he asked standing up as well

"No I'm not upset." she said her blue eyes filling with tears "I'm hurt there's a difference."

"Caroline what are you doing?" he asked as she went in to their room

Caroline closed the door locking it behind her. She rested her back against it "Should I give up?" she asked

"Care?" James said knocking lightly, he did this a few more times before leaving her in peace.

The room was filled with pictures of them in their happiest moments. She wanted to break the pictures, maybe when he seen them he'd be broken like she was. No, she wouldn't want that for anyone especially not the man she loved.

"What is love? Especially when you don't know who you're laying next to." Caroline cried "I can't take this anymore."

Caroline thought of her friend Lea Michele's song and knew that Lea would understand. Packing a small bag she wiped the tears that fell. Taking off her ring she placed it on the table by the bed.

James seen Caroline walk out with a small bag and no ring on "Where you going?" he asked

"I need to sort some things out." she walked out of the door with her bag. She drove to the airport headed for LA to see Lea.