Chapter Eleven

It was the morning of students leaving the castle to return home on Christmas break, Alice laid on her bed as Hermione zipped around their room, packing the last of her things. Since Alice was staying put at Hogwarts, she didn't need to pack anything meaning her side of the room was just as messy as it usually was, and Hermione's was nearly spotless. 

Then again, even if Hermione was staying her side of the room would still be a damn sight neater than Alice's.

"I don't see why you don't come with us, you know." Hermione said, kneeling on the wooden floor to place neatly folded clothes on top of the book she had decided to take. "I mean, I know you've not been to the burrow before but Mrs Weasley is lovely! And then we could all spend Christmas together!"

"'Mione, I know you want me to come with you, but I just don't think that it would be a good idea." Alice admitted, making Hermione frown. "I mean, you've all told me how packed the house is, I don't want to intrude on some lady who already has so many people under her roof. Besides, I'm more than happy here. Maybe I'll even manage to catch up on Snape's stupid homework"

Since Snape was made the defence against the dark arts teacher the homework he had been assigning was frankly mad, even Hermione had been struggling to keep up, Harry and Alice were slightly behind and Ron had pretty much given up entirely.

"I guess... I just wish we could spend Christmas together." She sighed and frowned, clearly bothered by not spending the holiday with all of her friends. "Maybe I could stay here with you? In case you got lonely here?" Hermione suggested, making Alice chuckle softly.

"I'll be absolutely fine, 'Mione, don't even worry about me." She reassured her friend, who nodded despite the disappointment being clear on her features.

Hermione zipped up her suitcase and stood from the floor, brushing off her jeans. She offered Alice a hand and pulled her off of her bed, pulling her in to a tight hug.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Hermione asked as the two hugged, as much as Alice appreciated her friends concern, she knew she'd be fine.

"I'm absolutely positive, it's not for long anyway." Alice pointed out. Hermione pulled back from the hug and gave a nod, extending the handle on her suitcase before dragging it out of the room, Alice following behind her. They entered the empty common room to see the boys standing near the exit, ready to go. Most Gryffindors go home for the holidays, only a couple from each year stayed at school, meaning that Alice would essentially have the common room to herself most of the time.

"Are you sure that you don't want to come with us?" Harry asked as the girls approached, making Alice roll her eyes.

"Why do you guys keep asking me that? I'm perfectly capable of being alone you know" She pointed out, making Harry raise his hands in mock defence. He then opened his arms, inviting Alice in to them, which she accepted.

"If you change your mind just talk to Dumbledore, I'm sure he wouldn't mind sorting out some way to get you there" Harry said in to her ear, she simply nodded in to his shoulder, not wanting to say that she'd be fine on her own for a third time. Once they let go she hugged Ron, bidding them all goodbye. The portrait swung shut behind them and she was left alone in the common room, the only sound being the crackling of the fire.

Despite how bad it sounds, she couldn't help but let out a small sigh of relief. What she had said to Hermione about not wanting to over-crowd the burrow was true, but it wasn't the main reason that she was choosing to stay behind.

It had been a few weeks since Alice and Draco's first kiss, and the two had been meeting up in the library consistently since. They both claimed that it was to do work, but it was really just because they enjoyed spending time together. There had been a couple more kisses between them, but they both seemed to be taking it slowly, both silently scared of ruining something.