Prologue

"The donor can be another person who shares the same or similar genetic type as your child. This is often a brother or sister. Finding a matching donor can be a lengthy process. In some cases, a parent may be a donor.... but in your case, your type 1 diabetes makes it incredibly risky to be a donor.. I'm sorry..." the doctor finished.

"What about her father? Could he possibly be a match?" I asked. The thought had crossed my mind more and more the last few days.

"It's possible. I know you mentioned that Riley was conceived via a sperm donor. If you can find out if her donor donated more than once, and that donation resulted in a child, that child would be a sibling to Riley and may be a match.." the doctor explained.

These were the words that echoed in my brain as I closed down the bakery that I owned that night. My life had been anything but easy, up until that point, but I wouldn't trade it for a thing.

I was 31, an owner of an incredibly successful bakery in the city of Angels, and my 3 year old daughter Riley was my whole world. When she was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia 8 months ago and went into remission, I thought we were out of the woods, but I was wrong. The chemotherapy had been brutal and it was my worst fears come to life to see my baby girl in pain.

But for tonight, though she was okay, but every minute mattered. I lived with my mother and she took care of Riley while I was at work. That night I went into Riley's room and she was sleeping soundly. I prayed for a solution and more importantly the strength and resolve to find an answer. I had to try.

I went to the sperm donation bank and they were unable to tell me whether or not Riley's donor had made more than one donation. I sighed until the clerk looked in the file. "The donor, however, did waive his anonymity rights. and I have his information right here..."

I felt the blood in my veins run cold and my hands tingled. Could this be the answer I'd prayed for? The clerk gave me the information and I was surprised to see his most recent address was in Garden Grove, California, a city not too far from Los Angeles. There was also a number. I held the paper in my hands all afternoon and every second that passed, I knew was a second more that I didn't have an answer for my daughter.

I thought about showing up to his place and then I thought about calling and then I realized what if he didn't want to even talk to me? I mean, he did waive his anonymity rights,but still... I'd look like a crazy lady if I just showed up.

But I was crazy. I was crazy about my daughter and I'd do anything for her. I drove to the address and parked across the street. The house was small and quaint, painted a dark blue with beautiful white shutters and a matching white deck. There were beautiful trees and roses in front and a fountain.I waited for 10 minutes, but it felt like forever. There was a car parked in the driveway and I figure someone had to be home.

I ducked when another car pulled into the driveway and I noticed two women getting out. They held hands and looked to be in their mid 40's. They knocked on the door and were immediately let in. I couldn't get any glimpse at all at who opened the door, but at least now I knew someone was home. I had no excuse.

My anxiety was on edge and I could literally feel my hands shaking. I pulled down the visor on my car window and was met with a picture of my daughter and I. She was beautiful. Brown hair, hazel eyes, and the sweetest smile you ever did see. I called her my sunshine because she was the light of my life and now more than ever, she needed me.

I exited my car, approached the door and rang the doorbell.

I heard some commotion and a woman answered the door.

"Why hello, dear, what can I do for you?" It was the woman I recognized from earlier, the one who'd gotten out of the car.

"I.. " my words failed me and I swallowed hard. "I..I'm looking for a Shawn.. a Shawn Mendes? Does he live here... do you know him?"

The woman beamed at me. "Shawn, sweetheart, you have a visitor... I think she's from the census or something," she called out and I could feel my stomach twist in knots. I almost had the inclination to run away,but suddenly a tall man, with a face that reminded me so much of my daughter appeared at the door. His hazel eyes looked like Riley's and for a moment, I was speechless. This was him. I'd never imagined what he looked like and I suppose now that he was in front of me, it made perfect sense that he'd look like her. Or rather, that she looked like him. My throat was dry and my face felt hot as I stood in front of this familiar looking stranger.

"Hello, what can I do for you? Are you from the Census?" he grinned at me and then his eyebrows furrowed.

I felt sick and feared that when words came out it would be vomit instead.

"I.. you donated sperm...?" was all I managed to get out. The inflection at the end of my voice made the sentence sound more like a statement than a question.

Shawn raised his eyebrows. "Uh... yes? How would you know that?"

"I... my daughter... you're.. her.. donor.."

I watched as Shawn took in the information I'd just given him. Complete and utter shock all over this face.He stepped back and something in me cracked because I found myself trying to explain the situation as quickly as I could.

"I don't want anything from you, I don't want money.. I just... I need to know if you're a match.. a match to donate bone marrow," I said quickly and he ran his hands through his hair and looked completely floored. I couldn't blame him.

"Is.. she sick?" he finally asked, his voice almost a whisper.

"She has AML.. Leukemia..." I answered.

"Oh my god..." he was in complete shock, his face blank and pale. It was probably as pale as mine was, I imagined.

"Shawn, sweetheart, where do you keep your oven mittens?" A woman from inside called and then she approached the door. This was a different woman than the one who opened the door for me and she immediately sensed something was wrong.

"Shawn, are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost?" Concern was etched on her face as her eyes traveled from his face to mine.

"I.. can.. you should come inside," Shawn finally said. I nodded and stepped inside the house.

This might be the worst decision of my life or the best one, but whatever happened I knew the one thing on my mind was saving my daughter.

Author's note: Coming SOOONN