Chapter 20: Guinevere Baroque

Start from the beginning

"Too bad he wasn't here now that you're awake. He was always here for the past three days, waiting for you to wake up. He would sleep here sitting beside your bed at night. He would hold your hand and talk to you while you were unconscious. He was crying and trembling in fear when he brought you here, you know. He was so scared. God, I wish I had a boyfriend like him. We don't usually allow visitors to stay overnight but since he told us your relationship with him, we allowed him."

Guinevere didn't know what to feel. She was happy to know and thankful that Gusion was the one who saved her life, but she was worried about his true intentions, especially why he needed to guard her at night. Her heart felt that he was really worried about her but her mind was being skeptical.

Maybe he was just following orders to make sure I'm alive before he brings me back to the castle...

Rafaela gave her food and then left after she finished eating. She fell asleep thinking about Gusion.

It was already dark when she woke up. She stared at the ceiling for a few seconds and slowly looked around. There was a dimly lit lamp on her bedside table. Then she noticed a man sitting beside her bed. She tried to get up to see who it was but he went closer to her and assisted her to sit on her bed.

"Careful. You'll hurt yourself."

It was Gusion.

Guinevere started sobbing.

"Gusion, please... I can explain."

She knew Gusion was looking at her but his face became blurry as tears clouded her eyes.

"I'm begging you, please don't take me back home. I don't want to marry your brother. Please... I'm begging you. I can go far away and you'll never see me again. Just forget that we've ever met..."

"Why would I do that, Guinevere?" Gusion wiped her tears with his hands. 

Guinevere shuddered when she heard him say her name.

"Why would I let you go and forget that I've ever met you?"

"I have been trying to find you for so long and you want me to just let you go?"

Guinevere was a bit confused. She couldn't wait what Gusion will say next.

"I won't take you back to castle Gorge."

She was shocked but felt relief when she heard what he just said.

"Thank you. Thank you so much. I owe you my life. You just saved me from death and now you're saving me again. Thank you, Gusion."

"Guinevere..."

He hugged her as she continued to cry.

"Don't you recognize me?" He asked.

Guinevere looked at him. Her face full of questions.

"The night you ran away... in the forest... when you were being chased by the Paxley mages. We met, and you left me this."

Gusion showed Guinevere a purple scarf.

"You never recognized this scarf when I was wearing this in class?" He asked.

"It was you?!" Guinevere's eyes widened.

Gusion nodded.

"It was you who saved me from the Paxley mages?"

"And you saved my life too." Gusion responded.

"But why did you save me from your own family? Why did you let me escape?"

"I was banished."

"Oh. I'm so sorry to hear that. I never knew you were banished." Guinevere felt sorry for him.

"I'm into swords and they hate it. But even if I wasn't banished, I would still save you. I despise what they do. How can they chase and attack a defenseless girl like you just because they want to force you to marry a Paxley prince?"

"Thank you, Gusion. I'm sorry I didn't even say goodbye and just left you there. You were hurt pretty bad and I didn't want to drag you into my mess. You almost died saving me."

"I will always protect you, Guinevere. But you're right. I wish you didn't leave me. So I didn't have to spend nights trying to find you."

Guinevere fell silent and then realized something.

"The girl in the forest that you told me about, the one you've been trying to find... it was me?"

Gusion nodded.

She doesn't know what to say. She was in complete shock.

"I wanted to make sure you found your brother. I would go outside the gates of the Swan castle every night hoping I would see you."

"But why would you do that?" She asked.

"Because I fell in love with you."