Chapter 31

ELENA'S POV:

I woke up to the sun shining through my curtains. My head was spinning from whatever had happened last night, the last thing I could remember was Mattia walking in on me at my lowest point.

Mattia.

I turned over immediately and there he was. Laying facing me with his eyes shut. His breathing was heavy and I groaned, remembering I'd asked him to stay the night. I reached over and picked up my phone to see several messages, mainly from Kio. I rolled my eyes as I left him on read. I got out of bed and went to get ready before I'd have to talk to Mattia.

After getting dressed I went downstairs and saw Kio was calling me. I answered the call and heard his voice. But it didn't sound so sweet anymore. I placed him on speaker and started making myself something to eat.

"Elena I'm so sorry" he said in a raspy voice, he'd just woken up clearly.

"We're over Kio" I said flatly.

"Just give me a second chance" he pleaded.

"You don't deserve a second chance. You're no longer the guy you were when I first met you"

"But I can be!"

"I don't love you Kio"

"Right" his voice turned bitter "cause you're still in love with Mattia"

I froze as the words exited his mouth. I'd heard the floorboards creaking upstairs, and prayed Mattia hadn't heard the fucking conversation which would only boost his ego even more. I turned the speaker off and put the phone to my ear.

"Whoever I love has nothing to do with you, just know that person will never be you" I said, hanging up before he had a chance to answer. I blocked his number and went back to my food.

MATTIA'S POV:

I smirked as I listened to Elena's conversation with Kio. I stretched my arms out in delight as she hung up the call. I smiled to myself as my mind went back to last night, and how at peace I finally felt when I was with her. I decided to get changed into one of my hoodies from Elena's closet. I gathered she'd be eating breakfast by now, avoiding me after last night, so I made my way downstairs.

"Hey" I said, entering the kitchen. She looked up from her phone and gave me an awkward smile as I took a seat opposite her.

"Hey"

Her voice was quieter than usual. I rubbed my hands together and she noticed my hoodie.

"You should probably take your hoodies home"

I pressed my lips together and thought about how to reply. I knew this was going to be a difficult conversation, but it was honestly hurting more than I thought it would.

"About last night-"

"That was nothing" she interrupted, taking her plate to the sink.

"I just needed company, that's all"

"But Elena-"

"Mattia please, just let it go"

"Why are you not letting me in?" I said loudly, getting her attention. She took a deep breath and leaned on the countertop, resting her head in her hands.

"Last night doesn't change the fact that you cheated"

I winced as she said the last word.

"It was a mistake" I hung my head in shame as a silence set between us.

"Just take your shit and go" she said coldly, leaving the room. I bit my lip and headed upstairs to get any of my stuff she had.

ELENA'S POV:

I walked out into the garden and flopped into one of the chairs. Why was I being so stubborn? I remembered what Mom had said about second chances. I wanted to give him a second chance, I was just scared. Scared to be hurt again.

I don't have the energy to go through another heartbreak.

I turned to see Mattia had left the kitchen, hopefully going to take his hoodies back. Although a small part of me hoped he'd just leave one. I sighed and took out my phone, calling the one person I needed the most. I put the phone to my ear and waited patiently.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mom, can we talk?"

"Baby, now's not the best t-time" she stuttered. I could hear a lot of noise in the background, almost as if she was in a crowded area.

"Where are you?" I asked curiously, but she didn't answer me straight away.

"We're just... shopping" she said, in a weirdly high tone.

"Um okay, I guess"

"I'll call you later honey" she said, her voice cracking a little. A faint feeling of worry had set in me. I hung up the phone and walked back inside to see if Mattia had left or not.

LEANNE'S POV:

"Did you tell her?"

I looked over at Hunter, his eyes were fully of anxiety as he held onto my hand. I shook my head and he breathed a sigh of relief.

"I don't know how to" I said, a tear slipping down my cheek. He rushed to wipe it away and placed his arms around me.

"Hey, she's our daughter, we can both figure this out, okay?" he said, kissing my head. We sat, arm in arm, in the emergency room. I had never been here before, it just frightened me all the more. I rested my head on Hunter's shoulder as the doctor came back into the room. He looked over the reports from my blood tests and turned to look at us, removing his glasses. I already knew what he was about to tell us.

"We've noticed that the bump that has developed on your chest is in fact a sign of cancer, and it's terminal"

His words turned blurry as I sobbed into Hunter's chest. He held me tighter and I felt his tears on my head, I couldn't even begin to think about how my babygirl would react. I couldn't remember how long I'd been crying for, but it was a long, long time.

"How long does she have?" asked Hunter, wiping his eyes as best he could. The doctor looked at the reports and took a sharp intake of breath.

"A matter of weeks."

A/N:

Hey everyone, so as you've probably figured by now, some of the upcoming chapters will be quite emotional & distressing for some, given that cancer can be a difficult subject for a lot of people. So if any of the chapters make you feel upset or in any way uncomfortable, please don't hesitate to message me, I'm always here to talk with you guys. Also, if you feel like any of the terminology used (when I'm writing about Leanne's cancer) is used in the wrong way, please please let me know, as I would never want to offend anyone when writing about such a sensitive subject.

I love you guys ❤️