Chapter 10: The Meat Sonata (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

As the judging still continue, Bito suddenly went serious, "Even though the meat and sauce are both strong in flavour, I only get hungrier with every bite. However, the gravy she used is not just normal gravy, it is flavoured!" The crowd leapt out a surprise and Kyuzo explained, "Well examine Bito-san, the gravy I used is favoured with my specially made oxo cubes which were made from this glass jar I just have taken out. This is actually little garlic and mainly beef stock strained twice and infused 15 mins in jelly form." She showed her glass jar of oxo cubes to the judges. "They are mustard-flavoured which mustard is no missing on a British Roast Beef Dinner." Kuraki was praised, "Such brilliant idea, also this hint of acidity in your dish... could it be?" Kyuzo pulled out another jar and said, "Yes, this second trick's in the rice." "The rice?!" Ikumi was stunned. "I mixed a handful of handmade pickled plum paste into the don's rice, and so it's Refreshing Plum-Flavored Rice!" "I KNEW IT!" Bito cried, "The pickled plums were all behind this refreshing aftertaste! Not the sauce!" Suddenly, Kuraki found out something, "Mifune-san, the beef you made was "All-in-one", right? I think I get your meaning, this beef contains different parts of cow meats isn't it?" Ikumi was terribly shocked and so the audience and Erina, Kyuzo explained, "You are right, the beef I presented to you is my second trump card. My beef is the short rib, blade, tongue, cheek, and the main character, the Swiss mouldy beef filet."

In the audience, students were discussing the term of "mouldy beef", what did Kyuzo want to show? "Actually, the Swiss mouldy beef is just ordinary Swiss A5 beef which let the mould grows on it and break down its protein to give the blue cheese nuttiness into it which will cook in a lump of soft, tender meat." Bito wants to hear more from her, "So the trick of the beef is you combined five different A5 beef in one giant roast beef, how can you stick those together?" Kyuzo brought out a bowl of brown mixture, "The trick is this eatable glue, which is roast chicken puree stuffing call the "Fass". I butterfly cut the blade and glue it with the Fass, then place slices of the cheek, another layer of glue and the whole mouldy filet which will be the eye of the whole beef. Another glue layer with slices of tongue, then finally the short rib. Lastly, a layer of cow fat on it, rap it and set in the fridge for 4 hours, and so you will have the beef I made here today." The judges were amazed. "The texture of this beef stake is so light yet the flavours, so fragrant!" "The superb sauce with its signature creaminess!" "And, the refreshing pickled plum-flavoured rice! Each component is heightening the others' flavour! And you just can't stop shovelling it all in!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ikumi was terrified, "Pickled plum? That's it?! But it doesn't change the fact of the taste!" Okamoto was done with his whole bowl, "Man, I'm already done!" And so Bito and Kuraki too, "How about a second, can we have seconds? The Rôti Don was fantastic as well, but this don is better at making you want to ear more." Kyuzo jumped up, "Wh-What?! You want seconds?! I think I still have enough rice and beef to make for you." Then Ikumi looked at her dish from the judges, "Wh-What about my garlic rice? It's half unfinished!" Then Kyuzo spook, "Oh yes, I've been wondering what you were going to do about the rice, ever since Konishi-san said you'd be using marbled wagyu beef. However if you "beef" up the rice on top of amplifying the wagyu beef's umami, they're just gonna compete. Your dish may look like a don, but it's not a real don." Ikumi was angry as Kyuzo continued, "Don RS's leader said that the don, has to be a complete package in one bowl." Ikumi was in a rage, "Shut up! I'm not interested in your twisted logic! There's no way you can defeat my premium meat-" "If you're not convinced," Kyuzo gave her other bowl of her dish, "Why not have a listen to yourself? Listen to the story of my don tells. Now, help yourself." Ikumi was frightened but received the bowl and gave it a taste, after a bite, she stunned and start to eat more faster. "She is right," Ikumi though with tears in her eyes, "This don do talks to you. it said, shovel me in as much as you want!"

After the judges made their final results, Urara announced it, "A huge surprise! The victor is Mifune Kyuzo!" The crowd cheered for the results as Kyuzo spun and hold a knife, "Glad you like it!" Atago and Megumi cried with joy and so Konishi. Ikumi was defeated, as she looked up the glass box, Erina was disappointed with her, and left with Hisako, "Retrieve the kitchen we'd been providing to her." "As you wish." In the meantime, Kyuzo walked to Ikumi, "So Nikumi-san, I would like to try your don someday." Then Ikumi was angry, "How dare you call me with that nickname!" "Why not? I think it's pretty cute when you write it out in hiragana." "H-Huh?!" Ikumi red blushed as Kyuzo smiled at her, "I'm looking forward to working with you, Nikumi-chan." Ikumi's heart beating, "What did you say?! You idiot!" She ran, and Megumi and Atago congratulated her, Konishi walked to her, "I am thankful you saved my club, I own you a big favour." Kyuzo smiled, "It's nothing Konishi-san, as your club is safe it will be under my protection."

==============================================

*The recipe of the beef is from Chef Heston Blumenthal's TV show, Heston's Great British Food Season 1 Episode 2, Roast Beef Dinner.*