Chapter Five

Waterfall was supposed to be dead. She couldn't have survived all those wounds. She shouldn't have. 

She was supposed to be punished for the mistakes she had made. Not that she did any, other than murdering those MudWing soldiers. And probably giving important scars to some of the SkyWing soldiers. But those were self-defense. 

At least that was what she told herself to comfort herself. 

It would be a miracle if she lived. A huge one.

And here she was, nevertheless, opening her eyes, trying to adjust to the dimly lit cave. She was lying on a small bed made out of moss. The cave was cool with a light breeze coming in from the cavemouth. 

Strangely, she didn't feel any pain. Not from her neck or side, where she had been hit seriously with a spear; not from her talons, the ones she used to scar the SkyWing soldiers; not from her tail, her head, her wings. It was unsettling, considering her limbs should be screaming in pain right now.

Waterfall raised her head, slowly, still under the impression something was wrong. It was dark outside, and there was a silhouette blocking most of Waterfall's view in front of the entrance. It was Swamp. She was watching the sky, her head raised to look at the glittering stars and the glowing moons. 

Waterfall turned her head to the side. There was another dragon there, lying on the floor, their chest rising and falling quietly. And that was Ink, her small, brave, stubborn friend. 

They were here, she wasn't dead, she was still alive. There was just one question on Waterfall's mind.

Why?

Why had she survived? Why wasn't she dead? Why did her body feel like she had never fought those SkyWing soldiers or even got hurt? Why was she here? It didn't make sense.

She abruptly got up, making Swamp turn to look at her direction.

"Waterfall! You're awake!" she cried, running towards her. She hugged Waterfall. Waterfall waited to feel the agonizing pain from her neck, but it never came. Usually, if a wound like that even healed, it would leave a scar, and nothing would heal that fast so it should've hurt. It was weird.

When Swamp let go, she touched her neck. There wasn't anything. She looked at her self; not even a scratch anywhere. Her scales were smooth as the day she had hatched.

"Oh, you're wondering why you don't have any injuries, aren't you?" Swamp asked. "Well it turns out that SkyWing wasn't just a SkyWing, he was part SandWing too. And guess what? He's an animus!"

Waterfall stared at her. An animus. That made sense. But the thing that didn't make sense was why would a random animus hybrid come out of nowhere and help her, of all dragons? Surely there was some sort of prize for anyone who caught Waterfall. 

Maybe they wanted her alive? 

No, if that was the case the soldiers would've tried to capture her not kill her.

"Where is he?" she asked.

"Who? Falcon?"

"If you mean the animus hybrid, then yes."

"Oh, he went out to hunt," Swamp said happily. Waterfall didn't understand why Swamp was so okay with this stranger animus. He could kill them in an instant if he wanted to. 

She wondered why he was living way out here too. Alone. Instead of in the Sand Kingdom or some sort of village. He could even live in Possibility or Sanctuary. No one would care. He wouldn't need to tell anyone he was an animus either.