Chapter Three

Waterfall sat next to the pond until morning. She didn't talk, she didn't move, she didn't do anything. She only thought. 

The queens were right. She was too dangerous to be alive. 

The prophecy was right. No one was safe until she was gone. 

Right now the only thing she wanted to do was go hide in a pitch-black cave, turn into stone and never come back. 

She'd hurt yet so many other dragons. Dragons who had a life, dragons who had a family, dragons who had done nothing to deserve the punishment Waterfall gave them. She'd only taken her anger out of them...

And who was she to punish? She was the one who was supposed to get punished. 

What had come over her? 

How could she kill a dragon just like that? 

This was what the prophecy had warned them about. 

Waterfall was pulled out of her thoughts by a strong shake.

"Waterfall, snap out of it." It was Swamp, and behind her was Ink. They hadn't fled like the MudWing soldiers, even after seeing what she could do. She could snap again and hurt them by mistake. Why hadn't they thought of that?

"We didn't want to," Ink said suddenly. She held out the pouch Waterfall was carrying. The pouch that had the Skyfire in it. "Please take it, you're hurting my brain with all these thoughts." Waterfall looked from Swamp to Ink and to the pouch. She sighed and turned her head back at the pond.

"I'm a monster," she whispered.  "I'm a horrible dragon and you know that. You saw what I did. I killed dragons. You're too soft-headed to except the truth."

"No, you're not Waterfall, don't say that," Ink said, disagreeing. "If you didn't kill that soldier, imagine what he could've done to me." 

"He wouldn't do anything to you, he hasn't even hurt any dragon in his life. I saw it. They were here to get me. Not any of you." She looked at Swamp and Ink. "But still, I killed him, I killed a lot of them, and I didn't even feel bad the time." She paused before adding, "I'm scared I could do the same to you..."

"Well, I'm not going anywhere," Swamp said. "Just because you killed three dragons doesn't mean you're a monster. I killed many dragons in my life, and do I look like a monster to you?" She held out her talons.

"No," Waterfall muttered. "But you're different. Is there a prophecy about you? Are you destined to be a monster? Does any of your tribe want to kill you? Does every queen in Pyrrhia want you dead?" She almost started crying but held her tears. She didn't want to make them more upset. 

"You can't sit here all day and brood, we have to move," Ink said. She looked at the village over her shoulder. "Weirdly, they didn't come back with reinforcements, but that doesn't mean they won't."

"Maybe it would be better if I stay and let them take me..."

"No! Of course not!" Swamp cried. "I'm not letting any more of my friends get killed. Come on, we're going." Before Waterfall could protest she added, "And you're coming with us, whether you like it or not."

Waterfall sighed.

"And if you sigh one more time I swear I'll call the soldiers and tell them we're helping you escape," Swamp snarled. "So stop feeling sorry for yourself and let's go."

She opened her wings and took off. Ink shot a glance at Waterfall and shot up to the sky next to Swamp. Waterfall looked at them. They were so determined to help her. Why though? She hadn't done anything to help them, and she was taking place in a horrible prophecy. She hadn't even asked hem to come. They came by themselves, even after Waterfall had insisted they shouldn't.