"Tired Memories" Mermaid! Purple Yam X Reader Oneshot

A gentle breeze flowed throughout the air, coming from the north, heading to the south. The leaves rustled as the wind gently brushed against them, their vibrant emerald shades appearing to glisten in the setting suns gaze. The blades of grass swaying with the wind, almost seemingly like they're copying how the breeze blows. The soft crunches that follow suit as you take a step forward, seem to fit in with the environment.

You head onwards, with a single destination in mind, the docks. It's a place that was near and dear to your late fathers heart for this is where he first found his love for marine life. He would tell stories of many aquatic lifeforms, fishes with scales that when shifted into the sun's rays, would reveal their hidden rainbow, crayfish who's claws seemed to have fascinating and intricate markings. Hell, even the rocks on the riverbed seemed to explode with colour in the water, but when taken out they're as dull as little pebbles you find on the beach.

All these stories that he would tell you whenever you asked him, had sparked your interest with the river. But whenever you went to the exact dock, it was just your average river. The fishes were as boring as the ones in the pet store, the crayfish's claws just pinched you when you got near and the rocks certainly didn't "explode with colour" as your father said they did. It seemed as though your father had lied about how interesting the river was.

That is, until you met him.

You had went to the river when it was an autumn morning, the leaves looking like fire with their warm colours, the sun shining with all its might right into your eyes. Due to the sun blinding you, you hadn't noticed that you went off the dock until it was too late. You tried to swim back to the surface but something kept pulling you back down, intending for you to stay with it. You tried to get the reeds off your leg but you couldn't, its grip intensifying with each passing second. Your vision started to gain black spots and you couldn't hold onto your breath any longer.

Just as you were to accept you might not live, a pair of hands had wrapped around your waist and started to pull you up. The reeds seeming to give up on keeping you there. Your head broke through the surface and you gasped for air, relishing in the fact you were to live another day. Whatever had saved you then started to drag you towards land. You were placed onto the ground and you quickly spun your head to thank your saviour. Your eyes had widened at what you saw.

The one who had saved you was a male, his expression was one of annoyance. His violet eyes squinted at you, his mouth shaped into a scowl and his brows furrowed. His lilac hair sticking to his head, shining from the water that soaked it. He was well built, his shoulders broad and well defined and his chest chiselled with muscles. He then started to go back into the water after a few seconds. You had gotten your breath back and shouted for him to wait. He seemed to listen but it was clear he wanted to leave. You were in the middle of thanking him when he just scoffed and left.

You just sat there with wonder and confusion in your eyes. Whatever the man was, you knew you had to see him again. Sure you didn't see what your father talked about, but you did find something a bit more interesting. From that day forward, you had decided to come here as often as possible, to see this mysterious man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your mind was brought back from reminiscing on the memory by a loud cough. You had glanced to where you heard it from, and saw him. The mysterious man, who you had become friends with after needlessly bugging him. You had smiled and ran over to dock, where he was laying his arms and head, sliding on your knees which hurt afterwards. You winced and he laughed.

"What did you think was going to happen?"  "Oh shut it Yam."

Yes, Yam had been his name. It suited him nicely, and so did his laugh, which was deep and slightly rough but you enjoyed listening to it. He chuckled after your poor attempt of a retort and pulled himself onto the dock. You watched him pull himself up and turn around to sit down. His tail dangling over the docks edge. You had nearly forgotten the fact that Yam was a mermaid.

His mauve coloured tail that had scars from when he fought others, had scales that shined brightly from the sun. His fins were purple that faded into a much darker and deeper violet, almost indigo in colour. You looked back up to him to see him with a cocky expression.

"Like what you see?"  "I said 'Shut it Yam'."  "You actually said 'Oh shut it Yam'-"  "YAM."

He started to laughed after that and you couldn't help but blush. You turned your face to the side as you pouted. That caused him to laugh even louder which you then joined him. The two of you were laughing until you couldn't anymore. You both smiled at each other and talked about what yous did today. Yam had apparently seen an odd creature with four legs. It was white with long ears and a small tail. You explained how that was a rabbit and tell some basic facts about them.

You then both continue on talking about the day you both had until you notice that it's much darker than before. You look up to see stars in the night sky and point at them. Yam looks up and you both spend time just gazing at the sky with him occasionally splashing water on himself as to not dry out. After a while you hear a yawn. You glance over to see Yam rubbing one of his eyes.

"Are you tired?"  "Yeah, not that tired anyways.."  "I can leav-"  "No.. I-I want you to stay."

That was surprising.. He... Wants you to stay..? You decide to listen to him and just stay there. You hear another yawn then feel weight suddenly being put onto your shoulder. You glance over to see Yam slowly drifting off. You pull him in closer which he slurs a bit, then falls back asleep. You just sit there with Yam laying at your side. You slowly start drifting off to sleep yourself until you realise that Yam needs to be in water.

You slowly get up and pick Yam up into your arms. You trudge off the dock and into the river, quietly as to not wake him up. You place half of his body into the river and sit down, gently placing him onto your lap afterwards. Yam opens one of his eyes to look up at you and is about to say something until you shush him and quietly tell him to go back to sleep. He pulls himself onto your stomach and flops onto it, making you blush and fall backwards onto the grass. You sigh and start petting his head, listening to the soft purrs he makes at your touch. You smile at how calm and relaxed his whole body is and start falling asleep. You softly whisper one last thing before you close your eyes.

"Love you Yam."